Partial molar volume of ideal gas and Gibb's theorem

He is following the textbook's approach and has reached the point where they set (∂n/∂ni)nj = 1, where ni is the number of moles of species i and nj is the number of moles of species j ≠ i. Chetan has also provided a photo of the derivation in the textbook. In summary, Chetan is deriving the relationship between the partial molar volume and molar volume of an ideal gas.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am working on the derivation that proves that the partial molar volume of an ideal gas is equal to the molar volume of an ideal gas.

I am following up to the point in the textbook where they set

(∂n/∂ni)nj = 1

where ni is the number of of moles of species i, and nj is the number of moles of species j ≠ i.

Attached is a photo of the derivation in the textbook

Engineering news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397341541.099591.jpg

If n = n1+n2+n3+n4+n5
and you take the partial derivative of n with respect to, say n3 holding all the other subscripted n's constant, what do you get?

Chet

1. What is the definition of partial molar volume of an ideal gas?

The partial molar volume of an ideal gas is the change in volume of a mixture when one mole of a component is added while keeping the pressure and temperature constant.

2. How is partial molar volume related to the composition of a mixture?

Partial molar volume is directly related to the composition of a mixture, as it is a measure of the change in volume with respect to changes in the amount of a specific component in the mixture.

3. What is Gibb's theorem and how does it relate to partial molar volume?

Gibb's theorem states that the partial molar volume of a component in a mixture is equal to the difference between the molar volume of the pure component and the molar volume of the mixture. This means that the partial molar volume can be calculated using experimental data on pure components and mixtures.

4. How does the partial molar volume of an ideal gas change with temperature and pressure?

The partial molar volume of an ideal gas is independent of both temperature and pressure, as it is based on the assumption that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other.

5. Can the partial molar volume of a non-ideal gas be calculated?

Yes, the partial molar volume of a non-ideal gas can be calculated using equations such as the Van der Waals equation, which takes into account the volume of the gas particles and their interactions. However, these calculations can be complex and often require experimental data.