Designing a homemade electric lighter

In summary, the individual is attempting to create an electric lighter using a soldering iron guide as a framework. They plan to use nichrome wire as the heating element and have a few questions. They are unsure of the best gauge for the wire, how to maintain a constant temperature of 500 Fahrenheit, and what type of batteries to use. They are also considering using Kanthal wire instead of nichrome.
theonecalledU
I'm trying to make an electric lighter ( like this http://imgur.com/a/wg8q7) using the framework of this guide.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-battery-powered-soldering-iron/?ALLSTEPS
except mine will have a few more feature and the soldering tip will be replaced with nichrome most likely.

Theres is just a few things that I am stuck on

-First, Is nichrome the best material to use as the heating element?
Assuming we do use a wire heating element the length of the wire will be 1.5-2 inches long, what would be the best gauge? any other details about it?

-Second, I need the heating element to stay at a constant temp of at least 500 Fahrenheit
What type of circuitry would I need to accomplish this, what if i wanted to to be able to control the amount of power?

-Third, what would be the best batteries to use for this? I was hoping to be able to use 4xAAA or 3AA

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
that second link doesn't workD

davenn said:
that second link doesn't work

D

woops

fixed

ok cool

yes nichrome wire would be the best
constant temp is going to add a lot of complexity as you will need temp sensor and circuit to monitor that and then use it to control the supply to the element
Variable PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a common form of DC power control

if you are also aiming for ~ 6V then 4 or 5 AA high current (say ~ 4000 mAhr) NiCad, NMH or a LiPo pack style rechargeable batteries.cheers
Dave

I see, I don't want this to be to complex, how would i do it more simply then, does the lighter in the first pictures have a PWM

I don't think so, not from what I can see of the circuitD

I think most vaporizing systems use Kanthal rather than Nichrome. It may be better for a lighter.

Kanthal A-1 is a ferritic iron-chromium-aluminium alloy (FeCrAl alloy) with high resistivity and very good oxidation resistance. It is suitable for use at temperatures up to 1400°C (2550°F).

1. How does a homemade electric lighter work?

A homemade electric lighter works by using a high voltage spark to ignite a combustible material, such as a piece of paper or a candle wick. This spark is created by a battery-powered circuit that delivers a high voltage charge to two electrodes, causing a small arc of electricity between them. This arc can then be used to light the combustible material.

2. What materials are needed to make a homemade electric lighter?

The materials needed to make a homemade electric lighter include a battery, a switch, two small pieces of metal (such as paper clips or safety pins), a wire, and a combustible material (such as paper or cotton). Additional materials that may be helpful include electrical tape, pliers, and a soldering iron.

3. Is it safe to make a homemade electric lighter?

This depends on the materials and methods used. If the materials are handled properly and the circuit is designed correctly, a homemade electric lighter can be just as safe as a store-bought one. However, it is important to exercise caution and follow safety precautions when working with electricity and potentially hazardous materials.

4. Can a homemade electric lighter be recharged?

Yes, depending on the type of battery used. If a rechargeable battery is used, the homemade electric lighter can be recharged by connecting it to a power source, just like any other electronic device. However, if a non-rechargeable battery is used, it will need to be replaced once it runs out of power.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a battery for a homemade electric lighter?

Yes, there are alternative power sources that can be used for a homemade electric lighter, such as a hand-crank generator or a solar panel. However, these may require more advanced knowledge and skills to incorporate into the design. It is important to research and properly understand the use of any alternative power source before attempting to use it in a homemade electric lighter.