Understanding 3D Rotations & Linear Relationships in Physics

In summary, the equation above states that the sum of the squares of the vectors' components is equal to the vector itself.
electricspit
Hello, I'm trying to get a hang of the defintion presented in Arfken - Mathematical Methods for Physicists for 3 dimensional rotations (a setup for an introduction to tensors). That being said I'm a Physicist and I'd like a component approach if possible to the explanation. They give:

[itex]
A_i ' = \sum\limits_j (\hat{e}_j'\cdot\hat{e}_i)A_j
[/itex]

Which is just a rotation from [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] to the primed basis:

[itex]
\vec{A}=A_1 \hat{e}_1 + A_2 \hat{e}_2 + A_3 \hat{e}_3
[/itex]

[itex]
\vec{A}'=A_1'\hat{e}_1'+A_2'\hat{e}_2'+A_3'\hat{e}_3'
[/itex]

The first equation I'm not really confused about, it's just representing one vector in another basis. It shows that the coefficient in front of each component is just the projection of the primed unit vector onto the unprimed vector. They do a graphical derivation. What I have a problem with is their next step and the justification:

[itex]
A_i ' = \sum\limits_j (\frac{\partial x_i '}{\partial x_j})A_j
[/itex]

So I can justify to myself why this should be true, in English the dot product above and the partial derivative is saying the same thing. The change in the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] primed coordinate relative to the [itex]j^{th}[/itex] unprimed coordinate.

I'm not sure why they are all of a sudden using [itex]x_i[/itex] to represent the coordinates and also why it is okay to represent the dot product in this way. They give an explanation:

The formula of Eq. (4.2) corresponds to the application of the chain rule to convert the set Aj into the set Ai', and is valid for Aj and Ai' of arbitrary magnitude because both vectors depend linearly on their components.

Does anyone have a more clear justification?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should correct the first equation:

[tex]A_i ' = \sum\limits_j (\hat{e}_j\cdot\hat{e}_i')A_j[/tex]

The result derives from this relation:

[tex]\hat{e}_i' = \sum\limits_j (\frac{\partial x_i '}{\partial x_j})\hat{e}_j[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Sorry it was fairly zoomed out on the PDF I had. Also thanks!

1. What is a 3D rotation in physics?

A 3D rotation in physics refers to the movement of an object in three-dimensional space around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation. This type of rotation involves changes in the object's position, orientation, and direction of motion.

2. How is a 3D rotation different from a 2D rotation?

A 3D rotation involves movement in three dimensions, while a 2D rotation only involves movement in two dimensions. This means that a 3D rotation can occur around any of the three axes (x, y, or z), whereas a 2D rotation can only occur around the z-axis.

3. What are linear relationships in physics?

Linear relationships in physics refer to the direct proportionality between two variables, where a change in one variable results in a corresponding change in the other variable. This means that the relationship between the two variables can be represented by a straight line on a graph.

4. How do 3D rotations and linear relationships relate to each other in physics?

In physics, 3D rotations can be described using linear relationships, specifically through the use of matrices. These matrices represent the relationship between the initial and final positions of an object after a rotation has occurred.

5. Why is understanding 3D rotations and linear relationships important in physics?

Understanding 3D rotations and linear relationships is crucial in physics because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. This knowledge is essential in many fields, such as engineering, robotics, and astronomy.