Stopping a star from going supernova

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of stopping a star from going supernova by surrounding it with equally distributed super massive bodies. However, it is concluded that this would not be effective due to the shell theorem and the possibility of the star being torn apart by tidal forces.
gtriafylos
hi guys, my first post...

i was wondering if there is anyway of stopping a star from going supernova...
my proposal is as follows:

if you where to have a star about to go supernova, (as a result of lack of fusion) in the middle of space, and then you had super massive bodies surrounding the star equally in all directions, would that be able to stop the star from collapsing in on itself, and in turn stopping it from going supernova? also assuming that the net gravitational force of these external bodies attracting the star match the gravitational force that is making the star collapse in on itself.

thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If it were orbiting a single massive object like a black hole, it might get torn apart by tidal forces instead of collapsing. (How did it become a star in the first place though...?)

Ahh ok i see, thanks Bandersnatch. it would have been pretty cool if it worked though!

I appreciate your curiosity and creative thinking. However, I must inform you that stopping a star from going supernova is currently beyond our technological capabilities and understanding of the universe. The process of a star going supernova is a natural and inevitable event that occurs when a star runs out of fuel for nuclear fusion and can no longer sustain itself against its own gravity.

Your proposal of surrounding the star with super massive bodies could potentially counteract the gravitational force that is causing the collapse, but it would require an immense amount of energy and precision to achieve. Additionally, the gravitational forces within a star are much stronger than those of external bodies, so it is unlikely that they could completely stop the collapse.

Furthermore, even if we were able to stop a star from going supernova, it would still eventually run out of fuel and die, just in a different way. It is also important to consider the impact on the surrounding environment and other celestial bodies if we were to artificially interfere with a star's natural life cycle.

In conclusion, while your proposal is thought-provoking, stopping a star from going supernova is currently not possible with our current technology and understanding of the universe. As scientists, we continue to study and learn about the processes of stars and their life cycles, but for now, we must accept that supernovae are a natural part of the universe.

What causes a star to go supernova?

A star goes supernova when it runs out of fuel in its core. As the nuclear fusion reactions that power the star stop, gravity causes the core to collapse in on itself, generating an explosion that can outshine an entire galaxy.

Can a star be prevented from going supernova?

No, unfortunately, there is currently no known way to stop a star from going supernova. The forces involved in the supernova process are incredibly powerful and cannot be controlled or manipulated by humans.

What would happen if a star was prevented from going supernova?

If a star was somehow prevented from going supernova, it would continue to burn through its remaining fuel until it eventually died out. This could take millions or even billions of years, depending on the size of the star.

Is it possible to delay a star's supernova?

Some scientists have proposed ways to delay a star's supernova, such as adding more fuel to the core or altering the star's mass. However, these ideas are purely theoretical and have not been tested or proven yet.

What would happen to a star's surrounding planets if it went supernova?

If a star in a planetary system were to go supernova, the explosion would likely destroy any nearby planets. However, if the planets were far enough away, they could potentially survive the explosion but would likely be left without a source of light and heat from the star.