Stacking PMSM Stators and Rotors

• Thread starter cnafets
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is proposing the idea of combining multiple smaller motors into one more powerful electric motor, specifically the Honda IMA system. They aim to make this system compact, power dense, and efficient by water-cooling the stator. The question is whether to stack the motors closely and wire them in parallel, or to rewind them as a single stator. Concerns include the efficiency of this design and the potential for magnetic field interference. The inverter would also need to be able to handle the increased load.
cnafets
Hello PF!

This is my first post in a while, and I am pretty excited to hear what you guys think about my idea. I have a couple of BLDC design books that I'm going to tear into, but I like hearing from other people.

My idea involves the creation of a single, more powerful electric motor from multiple smaller motors/generators. More specifically, the Honda IMA system.

My idea involves making this system as compact, power dense and efficient as possible. I'd like to water-cool the stator as it would be going into a vehicle and increase motor run time as they are not designed for constant run duty.

So here we are. Should the individual IMA motors be disassembled and stacked as close as possible, allowing space for tolerances of course. They would keep their individual stator windings and be wired in parallel to the inverter.

OR

Should the stators be rewound as a large, single stator? Would that give me more torque or increase my torque per amp?

Do you guys see any negatives about the close proximity of the magnetic fields interfering with each other?

Also, with the individually wound stators, could I offset the stators to reduce cogging?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty sure that joining lots of small motors together is not going to produce the most efficient large motor.

I can't say for sure but I'd be surprised if the inverter was happy driving several times it's rated load.

That's what I believe as well, but would it make more than a 2% difference or so in this case? IOW, will it be a noticeable gain in the overall motor?

The inverter would be designed to output well beyond what will be asked of it in this system.

1. What is the purpose of stacking PMSM stators and rotors?

The purpose of stacking PMSM (Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor) stators and rotors is to create a compact and efficient motor that can produce high torque and power.

2. How does the stacking process affect the performance of a PMSM motor?

The stacking process is crucial in determining the performance of a PMSM motor. It affects the air gap length, which directly impacts the motor's torque and power output.

3. What materials are typically used for PMSM stators and rotors?

PMSM stators and rotors are typically made from laminated steel sheets, which are coated with a thin layer of insulation to reduce eddy current losses.

4. How many times can PMSM stators and rotors be stacked?

The number of times PMSM stators and rotors can be stacked depends on the design and the application of the motor. In general, they can be stacked multiple times to increase torque and power output.

5. What are some factors that should be considered when stacking PMSM stators and rotors?

Some important factors to consider when stacking PMSM stators and rotors include the number of laminations, lamination thickness, winding configuration, air gap length, and magnet material. These factors can greatly impact the performance and efficiency of the motor.