Absolute value & integrability

In summary, the function f is integrable on the interval [a,b], and |f| is integrable and has a limiting value.
steven187
hello all

Iv been working on a lot of integrability questions and I am having trouble with this problem
let f be integrable on [a,b] then show that |f| is integrable and that

[tex]|\int_{a}^{b}f|\le \int_{a}^{b}|f|[/tex]

now this is what i know

[tex]\int_{a}^{b^U}f =\int_{a_{L}}^{b}f= \int_{a}^{b}f[/tex]

[tex] U(f,P)-L(f,P)<\epsilon[/tex]

and

[tex]|f(x)|\le M \forall x\epsilon [a,b][/tex] is there anything else i can gain from a function being integrable on a closed interval?

muchly appreciated if someone could tell me where to start and some directions? I realize that it is only through practice that i will be able to know where to start and where to go from there, please help

thank you

steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You need to show that for a given partition P, S(|f|,P) - s(|f|,P) [itex]\leq[/itex] S(f,P) - s(f,P).

It is easy: use the definition of s(,) and S(,) and work the three different cases for a given interval in the partition: 1) f(x) is stricly < 0 for all x in that interval. 2) f(x) is stricly > 0 for all x in that interval. 3) f(x) is < 0 for some x and > 0 for some other x in that interval.

hello all

this is what i have done so far, i hope it is correct, i have shown that
[tex] U(|f|,P)-L(|f|,P)<\epsilon[/tex]
and so |f| is integrable that wasnt a problem
then since -|f(x)|<=f(x)<=|f(x)| for all x an element of [a,b]
then we integrate the whole inequality to get
[tex] -\int_{a}^{b}|f(x)| \le\int_{a}^{b}f(x)\le\int_{a}^{b}|f(x)| [/tex]
and hence
[tex]|\int_{a}^{b}f|\le \int_{a}^{b}|f|[/tex]

In terms of the above method about proving the 3 different cases i got pretty confused going down that path, some further details would be helpful

steven

Last edited:
How about simply invoquing the caracterisation of the integral

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx = \lim_{|p|\rightarrow 0}\sum_{i=1}^{n}f(t_i)(x_i-x_{i-1})[/tex]

and the triangle inequality:

[tex]\forall x,y \in \mathbb{R}, \ |x+y| \leq |x|+|y|[/tex]

?

1. What is the definition of absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical function denoted by |x|, which gives the distance of a number from zero on the number line. It always returns a positive value, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How is absolute value used in calculus?

In calculus, absolute value is used to define a continuous function, where the value of the function at any given point is equal to the absolute value of the input value. This allows for the calculation of integrals and derivatives of absolute value functions.

3. What is integrability and why is it important?

Integrability is a measure of how well a function can be integrated or summed over a given interval. It is important because it determines whether a function can be integrated using standard techniques, and also plays a crucial role in the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. How do you determine if a function is integrable?

A function is considered integrable if it has a finite integral over a given interval. This can be determined by evaluating the definite integral of the function over the interval and checking if the result is a real number.

5. Can a function be integrable but not continuous?

Yes, a function can be integrable even if it is not continuous. For example, the function f(x) = {1 for x = 0 and 0 for x ≠ 0} is not continuous at x = 0, but it is integrable over any interval containing 0.