10th Planet resonance with Neptune

In summary, the conversation discussed the resonances between various dwarf planets and Neptune, which is when two planets affect each other's orbits through gravitational pull. This phenomenon can be seen in the relationship between 2003 UB313 and Neptune, where 2003 UB313 orbits the Sun exactly 5 times for every 17 orbits made by Neptune. This ensures that the two planets will never collide. Similar resonances can also be seen between Pluto and Neptune.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"10th Planet" resonance with Neptune

The "10th Planet" is locked in resonance with Neptune. 2003 UB313 is in a 17:5 resonance with Neptune. I've never seen a number as high as 17 be part of a resonance before . 2005 FY9 is in an 11:6 resonance with Neptune. Here's a page I made illustrating the resonances:

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/newtno.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tony, what do you mean "10th planet resonates with Neptune"? How does a planet resonate? I've never heard that. Not doubting you, but I've just never heard of it before.

~Kitty

Its not the planet, its the orbit he's talking about. When two planets pass near each other, they pull on each other, affecting the shape of their orbits.

misskitty said:
Tony, what do you mean "10th planet resonates with Neptune"? How does a planet resonate? I've never heard that. Not doubting you, but I've just never heard of it before.

~Kitty
I've updated the link in my first post. It now shows an animation of what a resonance can do.

In this case, the resonance makes sure that 2003 UB313 orbits the Sun exactly 5 times for every 17 orbits made by Neptune. If an outside pertubation speeds up 2003 UB313's orbit making the resonance 17.01 : 5, Neptune will perturb 2003 UB313 and slow it back down to 16.99 : 5. It will continue oscillating between 17.01 : 5 and 16.99 : 5 indefinately, averaging exactly 17 : 5. Resonances are only interesting if they're integers.

Pluto is locked in a 3:2 resonance with Neptune. For every 3 orbits Neptune makes around the Sun, Pluto makes 2. Not exactly 2. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. But Neptune causes Pluto's period to oscillate with exactly 2 as its average over long periods of time. This ensures that they will never collide.

Last edited:

What is 10th Planet resonance with Neptune?

10th Planet resonance with Neptune refers to the orbital relationship between Neptune and a hypothetical planet beyond Pluto, known as Planet X or Planet Nine. This resonance occurs when the orbital period of the hypothetical planet is a multiple of Neptune's orbital period.

Why is the 10th Planet resonance with Neptune important?

The 10th Planet resonance with Neptune is important because it could provide evidence for the existence of a new planet in our solar system. The gravitational influence of this planet could explain the unusual orbits of some distant objects in our solar system.

How do scientists study the 10th Planet resonance with Neptune?

Scientists study the 10th Planet resonance with Neptune through computer simulations and mathematical models. They also look for patterns in the orbits of distant objects beyond Neptune that may be influenced by the gravitational pull of the hypothetical planet.

What evidence supports the existence of a 10th Planet resonance with Neptune?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of a 10th Planet resonance with Neptune. However, some studies have shown that the orbits of distant objects in our solar system are clustered in a way that could be explained by the gravitational influence of a planet beyond Neptune.

How does the 10th Planet resonance with Neptune fit into our current understanding of the solar system?

The 10th Planet resonance with Neptune challenges our current understanding of the solar system and could lead to a re-evaluation of the formation and evolution of our planetary system. If a new planet is discovered, it would expand our understanding of the outer reaches of our solar system and the forces that shape it.