New England Flooding: A Small Town's Story

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, Gale was talking about the recent rainstorm that flooded parts of the country. Gale lives in a small town in backwoods New Hampshire and noticed the flooding. Gale also mentioned that they had flooding last spring and that there is a river that goes right by their farm. Gale also mentioned that next major project is building a drain system to permanently address the hydrology of the property.
Gale
I don't know if anyone heard the news last week and saw the insane amount of rain we got here, but it rained loads and there was a lot of flooding. i was at school, a bit south, so i was fine. back home, the town was flooded quite a bit. i mean, i know its not New Orleans or anything that extreme at all. but its amazing to me to see the pictures. I have a few of the farm my brother works at, and the roads by my house, and the damn down the road.
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/5244/townflooding309wa.jpg
Thats the road behind the grocery store... and that parking lot...
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/1618/townflooding1309xi.jpg
thats the damn down the road.
http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/4838/townflooding2301cg.jpg
one of the roads near downtown of the town next to us.
http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/7530/townflooding4308uk.jpg
thats the farm downtown that my brother works on.
http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/6500/townflooding3305ig.jpg
thats the farm again, you can see a canoe full of pumpkins behing the table... my brother and his friend had to go canoeing to harvest the pumpkins.
Anyway, i thought it was crazy to see the flooding so close to home. its not THAT bad... but you know... still crazy.
and yes, and you can very well see, i live in a very small town in backwoods new hampshire heh. its quaint though, i like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lol Yes it must be small if there is a farm Downtown. I hope everything gets to dry out, I heard lots of homes got water in the basements and main floor.

That's pretty bad, Gale. We never had any floods of that severity the whole time I lived in NH. Pretty freak weather.

We had flooding pretty bad last spring. it wiped out a bridge on the road next to mine, so everyone had to detour on my road, (which isn't exactly a big road..) I'm sure if it hadn't been washed out then, it would've been now. a few bridges were washes out actually. As you'll see, there's a river that goes right by tenny's (the farm ALMOST downtown... its like, an 8th of a mile from actual downtown... hehe... you we're small, but they sell ice cream and hot cider!)
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/304/antrimflooding7gw.png
thats a little map of antrim, so you can see it all. its a real small town. they got it real bad 3 towns over, and even worse in keene, about 40 miles away.
also, side note, I've been looking up pictures of antrim, and i read through some history... apparently we're named after something in ireland... kinda neat... anyway..

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that dam looked like it had been topped. It just didn't look right

THey've been worrying about a 137 year old wooden dam in Taunton (MA) here for about the past week. It's been weakend and on the brink of collapsing, and it looks like we're going to get more rain :eek:

Side note: Gale I thought you said in another thread that you were going to U-Mass, or am I confusing you with someone else?

I was on Long Island last week on vacation. I was there for three of the eight straight days that it rained. What a mess. The high school by my old house had about 100 seagulls WADING/FLOATING on it's football field. I don't think I was in a single house or building that wasn't leaking some way.

Officially, we had a little over 8 inches (20.3 cm) of rain in about 48 hrs (Oct 7-9), then last Wed-Fri (Oct 12-14) we got 6.5 inches (16.5 cm). I stayed up most of the night to pump water out of the basement which was coming in at a rate of 1-2 gal/min. As I pumped down the water, I found one joint between two blocks that was spewing water like a water fountain, but only the size of a straw. I knew then it was going to be a long day. It took until Sunday afternoon for the water infiltration to subside. Now I just have a damp basement. Next major project is building a drain system to permanently address they hydrology of the property. Unfortunately, that will bring me in conflict with the local government - again ( :biggrin: ).

The lady next door had over a foot of water in her basement. If I had not stayed up late during last Friday into Saturday, I would have had foot of water in my basement.

Other folks had is worse - ruptured sewer lines, backed up sewage into basements, some homes lost.

At least it was just rain water...right? no sewage?
Isn't this the fall tourest time?

ya, in the dam picture, only half of the ground you see there is the dam. the water was way too high and took out most of the roads by the dam. Fortunately, my house is up on a hill, so my family was fine. though, i guess the stream we have overflowed a bit, but mostly the water ran down to the marsh behind my house.

ya, i know many places got hit way worse. 101 to keene, one of the major roads had to be closed down a long way because keene was hit so hard.

all that rain totally sucked too. i was so depressed that whole week... it felt like we'd never see the sun agian. i had trouble sleeping normal hours... and it was so sad, cause no matter what time of day i woke, it was always so dark.

yes, i go to Umass.

hypatia said:
At least it was just rain water...right? no sewage?
Isn't this the fall tourest time?
Yes it was rainwater - or at that point, groundwater. We are up high, however, there is about 30 feet of hill behind us and it is mostly rock, so the rain has nowhere to go but through our property. The solution will be to dig a trench and fill it with gravel, however it should drain to a lower point, which would be about 100 m E or W, and that would go through other properties. Going out to the utility easement would be problem since the local water district just installed a water line - which we have to pay for whether we use it or not. I would rather have had a storm drain, which is in planning, but that may take one or more years.

Some folks in the nearby city unfortunately had sewage flood their basements because the a portion of the sewer system collapsed. That is a potential problem in any urban area.

My sister has a friend from Keene whose parents lost their house - flood took it.

Well, it's still 'leaf season' in the NE, at least around where Tom and I live.

We are supposed to get more rain this weekend. Hopefully not too much. The streams are still running high.

1. What caused the flooding in this small town in New England?

The flooding in this small town in New England was caused by heavy rainfall and a combination of factors such as inadequate drainage systems, deforestation, and urbanization.

2. How often does this small town in New England experience flooding?

The frequency of flooding in this small town in New England varies, but it has been occurring more frequently in recent years due to climate change and increased development in the area.

3. What are the potential impacts of the flooding on the community?

The flooding can have a significant impact on the community, including damage to homes and businesses, disruption of daily life, and economic losses. It can also pose a threat to public health and safety.

4. What measures are being taken to prevent future flooding in this small town?

The community and local authorities are implementing various flood prevention measures such as improving drainage systems, restoring natural wetlands, and creating floodplain maps to better prepare for future flooding events.

5. How can individuals help in mitigating the effects of flooding in this small town?

Individuals can help by taking steps to reduce their own carbon footprint, supporting local efforts to mitigate climate change, and following evacuation orders and other safety measures during flooding events. They can also participate in community clean-up efforts after a flood to help with recovery efforts.