Partial Differential Equations

In summary: That's a number. My question is, how do I relate that to a Fourier transform?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding the diffusion equation with initial value conditions and the use of Laplace and Fourier transforms to solve it. The person asking for help is having trouble understanding the problem and finding a solution using the given equation and examples in their textbook. They are also unsure how to relate the solution to a Fourier transform.
Hadrian
I need help with Diffusion on the Whole Line.

For instance, my first homework problem is:

Solve the diffusion equation Ut = Uxx with the initial value conditions phi(x) = 1 for |x| > l, phi(x) = 0 for |x| < l. I don't know what to do, and the book I'm using isn't the least bit enlightening.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried solving the diffusion equation using a Laplace transform wrt to the time variable?

Hadrian said:
I need help with Diffusion on the Whole Line.
For instance, my first homework problem is:
Solve the diffusion equation Ut = Uxx with the initial value conditions phi(x) = 1 for |x| > l, phi(x) = 0 for |x| < l. I don't know what to do, and the book I'm using isn't the least bit enlightening.

Your book won't be enlightening if you don't take more care in reading it. No, the problem does NOT say " phi(x) = 1 for |x| > l, phi(x) = 0 for |x| < l". That doesn't make sense- phi is a function of both x and t. I suspect that the problem says: phi(x,0)= 1 for |x|> 1, ph(x,0)= |x|< 1. Also, there will have to be boundary conditions on x: probabably that the solution stays bounded as x goes to both infinity and -infinity. Looks to me like you will need a Fourier Transform solution: write phi(x,t) in the form
[tex]\phi(x,t)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)e^{ixs}ds[/tex].
Put that into the differential equation to get an ordinary differential equations for f(t).

Last edited by a moderator:
Phi is not a function of x and t, only x. The solution equation u(x,t) is a function of x and t... maybe you could picture phi(x) as being u(x,0), but I don't think that's quite right either. Also, it's |x| < the letter l, not 1. Here are exact words:

"Solve the diffusion equation with the initial condition

phi(x) = 1 for |x| < L and phi(x) = 0 for |x| > L.

Write your answer in terms of Erf(x) <== the error function of statistics."

The only thing I'm left to go on is the equation the guy derived in the section:

1/(4*pi*k*t)^(1/2)*[integral from -infinity to infinity] {exp((-(x-y)^2)/4kt) * phi(y) * dy}

In one of the examples, an initial condition was given without constraints, and it was in terms of x. He then proceeded to plug it into the equation given above as the same function, in terms of y.

I say the book sucks because it dedicates all of two pages to this topic, and it's very very veryyyyy ambiguous with the examples; it doesn't really let me know how I should go about solving a problem of this nature.

Also, that image didn't work. I think I need software?

Thanks for telling me what my book says, though :)

Is this the problem:

[tex]\text{DE:}\quad \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2};\quad -\infty<x<\infty,\quad t>0[/tex]

[tex]\text{IC:}\quad u(x,0)=\Phi(x)=
\left\{
\begin{array}{rcl}
1 & \mbox{for} & |x|\le L \\
0 & \mbox{for} & |x|>L
\end{array}
\right
[/tex]

As you so stated, the solution is given by the heat kernel:

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi t}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x-y)^2/4t} \Phi(y)dy[/tex]

So there you go . . . now, plug in [itex]\Phi(x)[/tex] (use any value of L for starters like L=1) and then express the integral as you so indicated.

Try and find in the library, "Basic Partial Differential Equations" by D. Bleecker and G. Csordas.

Edit: Oh yea, a plot wouldn't hurt neither you know.

Last edited:
I don't understand. I'm supposed to plug in zero for phi? doesn't that just give me zero? I'm so confused by this material that my brain is imploding.

Hadrian said:
I don't understand. I'm supposed to plug in zero for phi? doesn't that just give me zero? I'm so confused by this material that my brain is imploding.

Well, let's say for example that L=1. So for the integral:

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi t}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x-y)^2/4t} \Phi(y)dy[/tex]

Phi is non-zero only in [-1,1], everywhere else it's zero so the integral is zero there too. So isn't that the same as:

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi t}}\int_{-1}^{1} e^{-(x-y)^2/4t} (1)dy[/tex]

So what's the value at x=15 and t=100? Wouldn't that be:

[tex]u(15,100)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi (100)}}\int_{-1}^{1} e^{-(15-y))^2/(400)} (1)dy[/tex]

1. What are Partial Differential Equations (PDEs)?

Partial Differential Equations are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to describe systems or processes that change or evolve over time and space. PDEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and understand complex phenomena.

2. What are the differences between ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and PDEs?

The main difference between ODEs and PDEs is the number of independent variables involved. ODEs only involve one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. ODEs also have a finite number of solutions, while PDEs have an infinite number of solutions.

3. What are some real-world applications of Partial Differential Equations?

PDEs are used to model a wide range of natural and physical phenomena, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in image and signal processing, financial mathematics, and biological and medical sciences.

4. Are there any techniques for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. The choice of method depends on the type of PDE and the specific problem being solved.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in solving PDEs?

Yes, solving PDEs can be challenging due to their complex mathematical nature and the need for specialized techniques. The accuracy and efficiency of numerical methods can also be limited by the grid size and the complexity of the problem. Additionally, not all PDEs have analytical solutions, and some may require advanced mathematical tools to solve.