Is f continuous if f^-1(S) is closed for all closed sets S?

So, you have x in the domain and an y in the codomain, so the relation y=f(x) is meaningful. Then, if x is in the inverse image of S, that just means that y=f(x) is in S.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for (f^-1 S)compliment being equal to f^-1(S compliment) for any set S of reals. It also mentions using this result to show that the function f is continuous iff f^-1(S) is closed for every closed set S. The approach involves considering x in the domain and y in the codomain, and using the relations y=f(x) and x in the inverse image of S.
im2fastfouru
Any help on this problem would be appreciated

a) Show that (f^-1 S)compliment is equal to f^-1(S compliment) for any set S of reals.

Then use part a) to show The function f is continuous iff f^-1(S) is closed for every closed set S.

Physics news on Phys.org
im2fastfouru said:
Any help on this problem would be appreciated

a) Show that (f^-1 S)compliment is equal to f^-1(S compliment) for any set S of reals.

Then use part a) to show The function f is continuous iff f^-1(S) is closed for every closed set S.

Well, i am going to give a shot, but wait until some other people answer this as well.

Let

[tex] x\in \bar f^{-1}(S)=>x\notin f^{-1}(S)=>x\in f(S)=>y\in S=>y\notin \bar S=>x\notin f(\bar S)=>x \in f^{-1}(\bar S)[/tex]

SO from here:

[tex]\bar f^{-1}(S)\subseteq f^{-1}(\bar S)[/tex]

I think now you should go the other way around. I am not sure whether my reasoning is correct though. SO let someone else comment on this before you conclude on your answer.

sutupidmath said:
[tex] x\in \bar f^{-1}(S)=>x\notin f^{-1}(S)=>x\in f(S)=>y\in S=>y\notin \bar S=>x\notin f(\bar S)=>x \in f^{-1}(\bar S)[/tex]

Can you explain how you conclude that x must be in f(S) (third step)?

It is helpful to think of the domain and the codomain as different spaces (although here they both happen to be R, I assume).

You start with an x in the domain of f, in the statement I ask you to explain you consider the same x as an element of the codomain. I'm not saying that this can never be correct, but I think here it is not.

1. What is an inverse image?

An inverse image is the set of all input values that produce a given output value in a function. It is also known as the preimage.

2. How do you find the inverse image of a function?

To find the inverse image of a function, you need to solve the function for the input variable. This means isolating the input variable on one side of the equation and the output variable on the other side.

3. What is the relationship between inverse images and continuity?

Inverse images are closely related to continuity because a function is continuous if and only if the inverse image of an open set is an open set. This means that if a function is continuous, the preimage of an open set is also an open set.

4. Can a function be continuous without having an inverse image?

Yes, a function can be continuous without having an inverse image. This can happen when the function is not one-to-one, meaning that different input values can produce the same output value. In this case, the function does not have an inverse and therefore does not have an inverse image.

5. How do inverse images and continuity relate to each other in terms of graphing?

Graphically, inverse images and continuity are related to each other because a continuous function will have a connected graph, meaning that it has no breaks or gaps. This also means that the inverse image of any point on the graph will also be a connected set of points.