How Do You Convert cm3 to dm3 in Chemistry Calculations?

In summary, when dealing with units, it is important to keep them consistent. In this conversation, the units being discussed are dm3 and cm3, with 1 L being equal to 1 dm3 and 1 mL being equal to 1 cm3. It is also important to remember that 1 dm is equal to 0.10 meters and 1 cm is equal to 0.01 meters. Therefore, when converting between the two, it is best to do it at a lower level by using the conversion factors. Lastly, when multiplying a concentration (M) by a volume (cm3 or dm3), the resulting unit will be one thousandth of the unit from the concentration.
ditto_299
c = 1mol/dm3

v = 25cm3

would i have to keep the units constant, as in multiply the 25cm3 by 1000??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ditto_299 said:
...as in multiply the 25cm3 by 1000??

Are there 1000 dm3 per cm3? I think not.

You should keep the units consistant. Use either dm3 or cm3.

If you feel confused in converting between the two, just do it at lower level:

dm is 0.10 meter? cm is 0.01 meter.

(1 dm)(1 dm)(1 dm)*(10 cm/1 dm)*(10 cm/1 dm)*(10 cm/1 dm)= what?

thanks i actually figured it out

but, i forgot whether M x cm^3 equaled to some other unit?

It's also useful to keep in mind that 1 L = 1 dm3 and 1 mL = 1 cm3.

ditto_299 said:
i forgot whether M x cm^3 equaled to some other unit?

Yes. One thousandth of the unit you will get from M x dm3.

What is the meaning of "N= cv keeping unit constant"?

"N= cv keeping unit constant" is a scientific concept that refers to the relationship between variables in an experiment. It means that the number of units (N) is directly proportional to the constant value (c) and inversely proportional to the variable (v).

Why is it important to keep the unit constant in an experiment?

Keeping the unit constant in an experiment is important because it allows for accurate and consistent measurements. It ensures that any changes in the outcome of the experiment are due to the manipulation of the variable, rather than differences in the units used.

How do you ensure that the unit is kept constant in an experiment?

To keep the unit constant in an experiment, it is important to use the same measuring tools or instruments, calibrate them regularly, and use the same units of measurement throughout the experiment. It is also important to control any external factors that could affect the unit, such as temperature or humidity.

What types of experiments typically involve keeping the unit constant?

Experiments that involve measuring and comparing quantities, such as physics experiments or chemistry experiments, typically involve keeping the unit constant. This ensures that the results can be accurately compared and analyzed.

What are the benefits of keeping the unit constant in an experiment?

Keeping the unit constant in an experiment allows for more accurate and reliable results. It also makes it easier to replicate the experiment and compare results with other studies. Additionally, it eliminates the possibility of errors due to differences in units and helps to ensure the validity of the conclusions drawn from the experiment.