Bathtub Water Drainage: Northern vs Southern Hemispheres

• Thread starter Himal kharel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the idea that bathtubs drain in different directions depending on the hemisphere is false. This is a popular myth that has been debunked by scientific experiments. The Coriolis effect, which is caused by the Earth's rotation, is too weak to have an effect on the direction of draining water in a bathtub or toilet. The idea that this effect can be observed in everyday situations is a misconception perpetuated by inaccurate teaching and popular culture.
Himal kharel
Is it true that bathtubs in northern hemisphere the water drains out in clockwise rotation and those in southern hemisphere in anticlockwise direction?
If so then why?
And in equator?

Physics news on Phys.org
False. A big honkin' stinky myth that just will not die.

Snopes has a good description of this silliness.
http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

Frankly, I think even they are too generous. They talk about it as a "miniscule" force that is "easily overwhelmed" by larger forces.
Unfortunately, this getting-a-foot-in-the-door caution leads people to "...OK but a perfectly symmetrical bowl filled with reeeeeally still water would - in theory - still exhibit blah blah blah..."

Do this thought experiment.

Pick up a bucket of water. Hold it still.
Over the course of ten minutes, rotate it 2.5 degrees - a turn of about two centimeters.

That's less than 2cm over ten minutes. That's how much torque is applied to the water by the Earth turning. Now, the 10 seconds it takes for a toilet to drain is 1/60 of that - 300 micrometers - on the order of the width of a human hair.

Last edited:
Wikipedia details the lengths necessary to observe the Coriolis effect in draining water:
In 1908, the Austrian physicist Otto Tumlirz described careful and effective experiments which demonstrated the effect of the rotation of the Earth on the outflow of water through a central aperture.[28] The subject was later popularized in a famous article in the journal Nature, which described an experiment in which all other forces to the system were removed by filling a 6-foot (1.8 m) tank with 300 US gallons (1,100 l) of water and allowing it to settle for 24 hours (to allow any movement due to filling the tank to die away), in a room where the temperature had stabilized. The drain plug was then very slowly removed, and tiny pieces of floating wood were used to observe rotation. During the first 12 to 15 minutes, no rotation was observed. Then, a vortex appeared and consistently began to rotate in a counter-clockwise direction (the experiment was performed in Boston, Massachusetts, in the Northern hemisphere). This was repeated and the results averaged to make sure the effect was real. The report noted that the vortex rotated, "about 30,000 times faster than the effective rotation of the Earth in 42° North (the experiment's location)". This shows that the small initial rotation due to the Earth is amplified by gravitational draining and conservation of angular momentum to become a rapid vortex and may be observed under carefully controlled laboratory conditions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Draining_in_bathtubs_and_toilets

DaleSwanson said:
Wikipedia details the lengths necessary to observe the Coriolis effect in draining water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Draining_in_bathtubs_and_toilets

If I ever had a toilet that took more than 15 minutes to flush, I would have to install at least 2 more bathrooms in my house. In any practical situation, the hemispheric influence is unmeasurable.
You could also counteract any such Coriolis effect by training your turds to curl in the opposite direction and thus redirect the fluid flow.

Himal kharel said:
And in equator?

At the equator, the water just hovers over the drain because it can't make up its mind.

Last edited:
Danger said:
...training your turds to curl in the opposite direction...

And I now have my weekend project!:tongue2:

DaveC426913 said:
And I now have my weekend project!:tongue2:

Keep it fair too, Dude. You're not allowed to swallow a Bratwurst whole.

My Earth science teacher in high school specifically taught us that the toilet water spins due to the coriolis effect. When they teach it in school, I'm not surprised the myth keeps going.

Lsos said:
My Earth science teacher in high school specifically taught us that the toilet water spins due to the coriolis effect.

Yeah... I couldn't figure out why my Grade 12 chemistry teacher was such an idiot until about 10 years later when I found out that once you have your degree in Education they assign you to what you will teach, whether or not you know anything about it.

Most states (in the United States, specific requirements for teaching are set by the state and so vary from state to state), a secondary school teacher must have an undergraduate degree in the subject, with a minor in education. Of course, once they are teaching, they may be assigned by the principal to teacher a course in different area. Too much of that can cause trouble with the school's accreditation.

In the elementary grades, teacher's typically have degrees in education.

Never mind that vortex. The best myth I heard in that area was that this same force determines... the direction your cat wraps its tail around when sitting! I always knew cats are neat and picky but THAT picky? Hmm.

Grizzled said:
this same force determines... the direction your cat wraps its tail around when sitting!

That is true, and very irritating. Normal cats are ambidextrous, so they don't care. Mine is dyslexic, so she just stands there whipping it around until she get too tired and falls over.

1. What causes the difference in bathtub water drainage between the northern and southern hemispheres?

The Coriolis effect, which is caused by the rotation of the earth, is often cited as the reason for the difference in bathtub water drainage between the northern and southern hemispheres. However, this effect is only significant on large scales, such as in weather patterns, and has little to no impact on the small scale of a bathtub.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that water drains differently depending on which hemisphere you are in?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support this idea. The Coriolis effect is not strong enough to affect the direction of water drainage in a bathtub. Factors such as the shape of the tub, the direction of the water flow, and any obstructions in the drain are much more likely to determine the direction of drainage.

3. Why do some people believe that water drains in opposite directions in the northern and southern hemispheres?

This belief is often perpetuated by popular culture and misconceptions about the Coriolis effect. In reality, the direction of water drainage is largely determined by the shape and set up of the tub, and not by the hemisphere in which it is located.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the direction of bathtub water drainage?

Yes, there are several other factors that can impact the direction of bathtub water drainage. These include the shape and size of the tub, the speed and direction of the water flow, and any obstructions in the drain. These factors are much more influential than the hemisphere in which the tub is located.

5. Is there any scientific reason to conduct experiments to compare bathtub water drainage in the northern and southern hemispheres?

No, conducting experiments to compare bathtub water drainage in the northern and southern hemispheres is not scientifically useful. The results would likely not yield any significant differences, as other factors play a much larger role in determining the direction of water drainage. This is a popular myth that has been debunked by scientists.