Velocity of electron shot from a solenoid.

In summary, the electron acquires helical motion due to being at an acute angle to the magnetic field.
Moose100

Homework Statement

A certain solenoid(50cm long with 2000 loops) carries a current of 0.70A and is in vacuum. An electron is shot at an angle of 10deg to the solenoid axis from a point on the axis.

Find the speed of the electron if it is just to miss hitting the inside of the 1.6cm diameter solenoid?

Homework Equations

B=unI
r=mv/qB
v=qrB/m

The Attempt at a Solution

B=(12.5*10^-7)(2000/0.5m)(0.7)/sin10=0.020T

v=0.20T * 0.008m*1.6*10^-19C=2.8*10^7m/s<<<the manual says the velocity is 1.4*10^7 don't understand why it's half of what I got. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The loops that the electron will perform will not occupy the whole of the solenoid cross section. Remember that the electron is starting from the solenoid axis.

does that make the angle double?

Moose100 said:
does that make the angle double?

No. Try drawing the situation as viewed looking into the solenoid (the circular cross section). The electron appears at the center of the circular cross section with some radial velocity (the portion of the initial velocity that is radially directed). How large a circle can it describe?

Only half a circle? Because the entire circle isn't in the entire plane?

Moose100 said:
Only half a circle? Because the entire circle isn't in the entire plane?

No, a full circle but its size is dictated by its starting point! How large a circle can you draw within the solenoid's circular cross section if you start (and end) at its center?

gneill said:
No, a full circle but its size is dictated by its starting point! How large a circle can you draw within the solenoid's circular cross section if you start (and end) at its center?
Hey you don't have to yell yknow. ;) I'm trying to get this.

The circle's diameter appears to be .08m

Moose100 said:
Hey you don't have to yell yknow. ;) I'm trying to get this.

The circle's diameter appears to be .08m

Right, so that makes its radius...

0.04m so that's why.

The little circle represents the electron's circular component of velocity while r helps us determine the linear component?

Then we find the component perpendicular to r

Ahhh the electron acquires helical motion due to being at an acute angle to the magnetic field. That's what the little circle represents.

Moose100 said:
Ahhh the electron acquires helical motion due to being at an acute angle to the magnetic field. That's what the little circle represents.

Bingo! :wink:

Great!

Hopefully I am not undoing everything here but the circle is half as big b/c the field lines are at r and 2r(middle of solenoid cross section). respectively? I may be overthinking just wondering why and if the diameter is attributed to those velocity components. (In short what keeps me from drawing a circle the entire diameter of the solenoid? Or any other diameter?)

Moose100 said:
Great!

Hopefully I am not undoing everything here but the circle is half as big b/c the field lines are at r and 2r(middle of solenoid cross section). respectively? I may be overthinking just wondering why and if the diameter is attributed to those velocity components. (In short what keeps me from drawing a circle the entire diameter of the solenoid? Or any other diameter?)

The maximum diameter of the trajectory depends upon where the particle enters the field. A circle is a closed path and must return to the same x-y location repeatedly. The point of entry must be on the circumference of the circle -- there's no choice in the matter, the particle is where it is when it begins looping, and you're given that it enters on the solenoid axis which is the center of the cross section.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44455&stc=1&d=1330357728.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,241
Okay that's the issue then I didn't know exactly where the axis fell. My textbook isn't that good it seems. So basically the electron starts from the center there and continues in it's path as discussed. For some reason I thought it shot out from the wire in the spring. Although the path is helical it doesn't go any further than that axis point as it moves.

I was scouring the net to find a diagram on the axis! :D

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid is v = E/B, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. Does the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid change with distance?

Yes, the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid will change with distance. This is due to the fact that the magnetic field strength decreases as distance from the solenoid increases, thus affecting the velocity according to the formula v = E/B.

3. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the velocity of an electron shot from it?

The number of turns in a solenoid does not directly affect the velocity of an electron shot from it. However, it does impact the strength of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the velocity according to the formula v = E/B.

4. Can the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid be greater than the speed of light?

No, the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum velocity that can be achieved by any object in the universe.

5. How can the velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid be measured?

The velocity of an electron shot from a solenoid can be measured using various experimental methods, such as time-of-flight measurements or deflection in a magnetic field. These methods allow for the calculation of the electron's velocity based on its position and time measurements.