Factors that would increase magnetic flux through a coil?

In summary, increasing the number of loops in the coil or increasing the strength of the magnetic field would increase the magnetic flux through the coil.
mirandab17
24. A square coil is perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. Which one of the following would increase the magnetic flux through the coil?
A. Decreasing the area of the coil.
B. Increasing the number of loops in the coil.
C. Removing the coil from the magnetic field.
D. Increasing the strength of the magnetic field.

Hi there,

This is a question from a BC Physics 12 provincial. Through all of my notes, my teacher didn't mention magnetic flux once... so I have no idea how to do this. I have found definitions online... "Magnetic flux is the product of the average magnetic field times the perpendicular area that it penetrates." Right...

Anyways, some background to this type of question and what on Earth magnetic flux is to begin with would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
mirandab17 said:
24. A square coil is perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. Which one of the following would increase the magnetic flux through the coil?
A. Decreasing the area of the coil.
B. Increasing the number of loops in the coil.
C. Removing the coil from the magnetic field.
D. Increasing the strength of the magnetic field.

Hi there,

This is a question from a BC Physics 12 provincial. Through all of my notes, my teacher didn't mention magnetic flux once... so I have no idea how to do this. I have found definitions online... "Magnetic flux is the product of the average magnetic field times the perpendicular area that it penetrates." Right...

Anyways, some background to this type of question and what on Earth magnetic flux is to begin with would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

That definition is certainly workable.

Flux = B.A B is the field strength, A is the area

Clearly increasing either (or both) B and A would do it, however for a muliple looped coil we often write that formula as

Flux = n.B.A where n is the number or turns, so increasing the number of turns - provided you are adding turns, not merely wrapping the wire into a smaller-sized more-turns coil#

So two of those options seem possible.

# for example with 50cm of wire you could probably wrap a 3 turn coil around your hand, but could make a 10 turn coil around a single finger.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total amount of magnetic field lines passing through a given surface or area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is the magnetic flux through a coil calculated?

The magnetic flux through a coil can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) of the coil that is perpendicular to the magnetic field, and then multiplying by the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil. This can be expressed as Φ = B * A * cosθ.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux through a coil?

The magnetic flux through a coil can be affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the core (if present).

4. How does increasing the number of turns in a coil affect the magnetic flux?

Increasing the number of turns in a coil will increase the magnetic flux through the coil. This is because the magnetic field lines passing through each turn will add up, resulting in a stronger magnetic field within the coil.

5. What is the relationship between the magnetic flux and the current in a coil?

According to Faraday's law of induction, the magnetic flux through a coil is directly proportional to the current flowing through the coil. This means that increasing the current in the coil will also increase the magnetic flux through the coil.