Perpetual Motion: Can It Be Achieved In Space?

In summary, the idea of perpetual motion in space is not achievable due to the conservation of energy principle. Interacting with a moving object in space to draw energy from it would ultimately slow it down, making perpetual motion impossible. Even if a coil could be wrapped around Earth to use the planet's rotation for energy, the project would be costly and still not result in a perpetual motion device. Furthermore, discussions of perpetual motion and free energy are not allowed due to their infeasibility.
scopeside
I am completely fascinated with it, but my only question is if perpetual motion is achievable in space why don't we connect huge wire's to a machine lifted into space that constantly creates a giant force and never stops then is converted and sent down to earth?

I am not sure if I shed my idea in the best light, but for those who understand what I am trying to say could you please speculate with me I would love to see your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you interact with a moving object in space so you can draw energy from it you'll slow it down in the process. So no perpetual motion there either. If you could wrap a coil in space around Earth you could use the rotation of Earth and it's magnetic field to produce large amounts of energy but just think of the size (cost) of the project, and it still wouldn't be a perpetual motion device. There are many crazy ways to produce energy but only a hand full of them are cost efficient.

Last edited:
BobiG said:
There is no resistance in space so you're not creating any energy, if you interact with a moving object in space so you can draw energy from it you'll slow it down in the process. So no perpetual motion there either.

Haha thanks so much =]

scopeside said:
I am completely fascinated with it, but my only question is if perpetual motion is achievable in space why don't we connect huge wire's to a machine lifted into space that constantly creates a giant force and never stops then is converted and sent down to earth?

I am not sure if I shed my idea in the best light, but for those who understand what I am trying to say could you please speculate with me I would love to see your thoughts.

Scopeside...

Read the rules of the forum ... such discussions are not allowed

Dave

scopeside said:

We do not discuss PMMs or Free Energy schemes at the PF. Here are two good links for understanding why PMMs and Free Energy cannot work:

http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion refers to the hypothetical concept of a machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source.

2. Why is it believed that perpetual motion cannot be achieved?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This means that a machine cannot continue to run without any energy input.

3. Can perpetual motion be achieved in space?

In theory, it is possible for a machine to operate perpetually in space because there is no friction or resistance to slow it down. However, the machine would still require an initial energy source to start running.

4. Has perpetual motion ever been achieved?

No, perpetual motion has never been achieved in a practical sense. While there have been many attempts throughout history, all have been proven to either rely on an external energy source or to eventually slow down and stop.

5. Are there any potential benefits of achieving perpetual motion?

If perpetual motion were to be achieved, it could potentially lead to a limitless and sustainable source of energy. However, the feasibility and practicality of such a machine are highly debated among scientists.