DDR2 Memory 800 MHz: Calculating Data Transfer in Bits vs MB

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, to find the data transfer rate for a DDR2 memory with 800 MHz and 64 Bit, you can multiply 800 by 64 and then divide the result by 8 to get the transfer rate in bytes per second. This method takes into account the fact that DDR2 memory transfers data on both the up and down cycles of the clock signal. The link provided also offers helpful tables for comparison and further understanding.
biferi
I know if I have a DDR2 Memory that is 800 MHz and it is 64 Bit the math to findout the Data Transfer is

800,000,000 X 64 = Data Transfer.
But will this give me the Data Transfer in just Bits Per SEC. or MB Per SEC?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I did have a look at your link and I think this got me more confused.

If I want to know my Transfer Rate for my DDR2 800MHz 64 Bit DiMM in Bytes I do the math like this

800MHz X 64 then take the out come and Divid by 8

Will give me Transfer in Bytes per sec Right?

biferi said:
I did have a look at your link and I think this got me more confused.

If I want to know my Transfer Rate for my DDR2 800MHz 64 Bit DiMM in Bytes I do the math like this

800MHz X 64 then take the out come and Divid by 8

Will give me Transfer in Bytes per sec Right?

Yes, that seems right. I gave you the link because it had several tables where the Hz was listed along with the MB/sec to give you a comparison and perhaps help answer other related questions.

I noticed that a given Hz was doubled because the memory is read on the up cycle and on the down cycle of the clock signal. If the memory is transferred in parallel on a 64 bit or larger bus then your answer 800 * 8 is the MB/sec speed is correct but if say the data was transferred on a smaller 32 bit bus then the rate would be half or 800 * 8 / 2 MB/sec.

Last edited:

The equation you have provided will give you the data transfer rate in bits per second. This is because the 800 MHz refers to the clock speed of the memory, which is measured in cycles per second. Each cycle can transfer one bit of data, so multiplying the clock speed by the number of bits (64) gives you the data transfer rate in bits per second.

To convert this to megabytes per second (MB/s), you would need to divide the result by 8, since 8 bits make up 1 byte. This would give you the data transfer rate in MB/s.

It is important to note that the data transfer rate of a memory module also depends on other factors such as the number of channels and the type of memory controller. So while this calculation will give you a rough estimate, the actual data transfer rate may vary.

1. How is data transfer calculated in DDR2 Memory 800 MHz?

Data transfer in DDR2 Memory 800 MHz is calculated by multiplying the clock speed (800 MHz) by the data bus width (8 bits). This results in a data transfer rate of 6.4 GB/s (800 MHz x 8 bits = 6.4 GB/s).

2. What is the difference between bits and MB when calculating data transfer in DDR2 Memory 800 MHz?

Bits and MB refer to different units of measurement. Bits (short for binary digits) are used to measure the amount of data being transferred in a single cycle, while MB (megabytes) measure the total amount of data transferred in a given amount of time. In DDR2 Memory 800 MHz, bits are used to calculate the data transfer rate, while MB is used to measure the total amount of data transferred per second.

3. How does the clock speed affect data transfer in DDR2 Memory 800 MHz?

The clock speed (measured in MHz) directly affects the data transfer rate in DDR2 Memory 800 MHz. The higher the clock speed, the faster the data can be transferred. In this case, a higher clock speed of 800 MHz results in a faster data transfer rate of 6.4 GB/s compared to a lower clock speed of 667 MHz, which has a data transfer rate of 5.3 GB/s.

4. Is DDR2 Memory 800 MHz the fastest memory available?

No, DDR2 Memory 800 MHz is not the fastest memory available. It is an older type of memory and has been surpassed by newer versions such as DDR3 and DDR4. These newer versions have higher clock speeds and wider data bus widths, resulting in faster data transfer rates.

5. How is DDR2 Memory 800 MHz used in modern computers?

DDR2 Memory 800 MHz is still used in some modern computers, but it is more commonly found in older systems. It is often used in desktops and laptops for basic tasks such as web browsing and word processing. However, for more demanding tasks such as gaming and video editing, newer and faster types of memory are preferred.