American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as gifted

In summary, the article discusses how American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as "gifted" and how this may or may not have an impact on their academic performance. The comedian George Carlin has a few thoughts on the matter.
tahayassen
American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as "gifted"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20756247

Well, I'm an undergraduate freshman and I would say I'm above average (relative to all 18 year olds in Canada). I would also say I'm above average (relative to my peers in my classes at uni because I've revamped my work habits recently). About a year ago, I would say that I was below average (relative to the smart students in my university classes in high school). I think it's just a coincidence that there's a correlation between confidence and how well you do in school. I think decrease in academic ability has to do with the number of distractions readily available these days - we're in a post-productivity age.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The article is confusing.

"What's really become prevalent over the last two decades is the idea that being highly self-confident - loving yourself, believing in yourself - is the key to success.

"Now the interesting thing about that belief is it's widely held, it's very deeply held, and it's also untrue."

Then later:

He found that although high self-esteem frequently had a positive correlation with success, the direction of causation was often unclear. For example, are high marks awarded to people with high self-esteem or does getting high marks engender high self-esteem?

I'm not sure what point is being made at all.

zoobyshoe said:
That's strange, because William Kremer told me he was better than most journalists.

The great George Carlin did a brilliant bit on the absurdity of the so called self - esteem movement that zooby quoted from the article. I can't link it here as it contains many obscenities but you can easily find it on youtube if you're interested.

WannabeNewton said:
The great George Carlin did a brilliant bit on the absurdity of the so called self - esteem movement that zooby quoted from the article. I can't link it here as it contains many obscenities but you can easily find it on youtube if you're interested.

According to Wikipedia, he's a comedian.

tahayassen said:
According to Wikipedia, he's a comedian.
Yeah so?

WannabeNewton said:
Yeah so?

I started this thread with the intention of a semi-serious discussion. Typically, comedians stretch the truth or exaggerate something for comedic purposes. I watched it by the way, pretty funny.

tahayassen said:
I started this thread with the intention of a semi-serious discussion. Typically, comedians stretch the truth or exaggerate something for comedic purposes. I watched it by the way, pretty funny.
Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money. I agree with his views on this in particular because I find that boosting self - esteem and confidence is all surface level and it is a meaningless tactic that doesn't prove anything about ability in the long run.

WannabeNewton said:
Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money. I agree with his views on this in particular because I find that boosting self - esteem and confidence is all surface level and it is a meaningless tactic that doesn't prove anything about ability in the long run.

Would you say that the movement would hurt academic performance?

zoobyshoe said:
Then later:
I'm not sure what point is being made at all.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that second quote was in the article there.

WannabeNewton said:
Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money.

Much like Bill Maher. ;)

WannabeNewton said:
Yeah, Carlin says it as it is.

tahayassen said:
Would you say that the movement would hurt academic performance?
Well if a person gets too confident in him/herself there is always the threat of being kicked in the face by reality and the owing up the fact that simply boosting one's self confidence or esteem will not guarantee a good grade on an exam. If the over - confidence is supplemented with hard work then I'm sure that problem won't be there but over confident people don't in general doubt their "superior" abilities enough to study substantially.

Evo said:
Yeah, Carlin says it as it is.
Not any more.

zoobyshoe said:
Not any more.

:frown:

Imagination is often bigger than the reality of the person dreaming of it. Don't let it consume you to the point you are walking around so delusional that you think everything you touch is gold, and everything you say is the objective truth.

lisab said:
:frown:
What can I say? She used the present tense!

zoobyshoe said:
What can I say? She used the present tense!
George Carlin will always be alive!

http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mentalist said:
Imagination is often bigger than the reality of the person dreaming of it. Don't let it consume you to the point you are walking around so delusional that you think everything you touch is gold, and everything you say is the objective truth.

Very well said. Confidence is good when it enables you to put your best foot forward w/o fear of failing. But when it instills a sense of inherent superiority in a person, they often fall on their face since they are not as gifted as they think. I feel that confidence is good to a limited extent, but individuals must understand that extra confidence cannot make up for a lack of natural talent nor lack of effort.

Claude

What does it mean when American college students describe themselves as gifted?

When American college students describe themselves as gifted, it means that they believe they possess exceptional abilities or talents in one or more areas of study or life. This can include academic achievement, artistic or creative skills, leadership abilities, or other qualities that set them apart from their peers.

Why are American college students increasingly likely to describe themselves as gifted?

There are a few potential reasons for this trend. One possibility is that there has been an increase in the number of students who are actually gifted, due to advancements in education and opportunities for enrichment. Another reason could be a cultural shift towards valuing and celebrating individual achievement and uniqueness. Additionally, there may be a desire to stand out and differentiate oneself in a competitive college admissions process.

Is there any evidence to support the claim that American college students are becoming more gifted?

There is some evidence to suggest that American college students are becoming more gifted. Studies have shown an increase in IQ scores over time, which could be an indicator of an overall increase in intelligence. Additionally, there has been a rise in the number of students identified as gifted and receiving special education services. However, it is important to note that there are also criticisms and controversies surrounding the concept of giftedness and its measurement.

Are there any potential negative implications of American college students identifying as gifted?

There are potential negative implications of American college students identifying as gifted. This label can create pressure and expectations for students to continuously perform at a high level, leading to burnout and mental health issues. It can also perpetuate elitism and a sense of superiority among those who identify as gifted, creating divisions and exclusion within the student population.

What should be done to address the increasing number of American college students identifying as gifted?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to addressing the increasing number of American college students identifying as gifted. However, it is important for educators and institutions to provide support and resources for these students to help them navigate the potential challenges and pressures that come with the label. It is also important to promote inclusivity and diversity, and to recognize and value different forms of intelligence and achievement. Ultimately, we should strive to create a positive and supportive environment for all students, regardless of their self-identified giftedness.