Exploring the Possibility of Dark Matter Bombs: Fact or Fiction?

In summary: PhysRevLett.106.171302Nevertheless, some are hoping to 'detect' DM.I'd probably start in the Milky Way. How to get it, I have no idea, but I'd probably start by sending probes out of the solar system.It would take a probe millions upon millions of years to reach the other side of the galaxy. And also, it would have to return to Earth.
Kutt
I've seen "dark matter bombs" portrayed in some science fiction movies, but is this actually scientifically plausible? Could dark matter be used as a destructive weapon? What would it do, exactly? Open up a black hole?

Anti-Matter could definitely be used as a weapon, but it would take hundreds of years just to create a teaspoon of the material.

Physics news on Phys.org
[Note: the following quote has been edited]
Kutt said:
Could dark matter be used as [fill in the blank]? What would it do, exactly?

At present it is unknown what dark matter really is, so these questions are impossible to answer.

All we know is that dark matter has a gravitational attraction to other matter.

EDIT: People who are more knowledgeable than I might say more about what dark matter can NOT do.

Last edited:
As far as we know dark matter does not interact through any force other than gravitation, so you couldn't even gather any up to create a weapon in the first place. And since it only interacts through gravity it still wouldn't do anything anyways.

The nature of Dark Matter is still an open question, but it appears to be out there in space such that gathering it would require spacecraft traveling long distances - e.g., outside the solar system. I'm not sure if we have an idea of the spatial distribution of DM.

math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/dark_matter.html

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

Rather than making a bomb from DM, it would be more productive to develop a propulsion system for space flight.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
The nature of Dark Matter is still an open question, but it appears to be out there in space such that gathering it would require spacecraft traveling long distances - e.g., outside the solar system. I'm not sure if we have an idea of the spatial distribution of DM.

math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/dark_matter.html

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

Rather than making a bomb from DM, it would be more productive to develop a propulsion system for space flight.

And where exactly would you look for dark matter?

How would you gather it?

Kutt said:

How would you gather it?
I recommend one doing some research on where Dark Matter is thought to be, e.g., outside of the solar system and within the galaxy.

I'd probably start in the Milky Way. How to get it, I have no idea, but I'd probably start by sending probes out of the solar system.

Kutt said:

Everywhere.

How would you gather it?

You would not. It is not possible to gather because it does not interact with anything. This means it would literally pass right through your hands if you tried to grab it.

Astronuc said:
I recommend one doing some research on where Dark Matter is thought to be, e.g., outside of the solar system and within the galaxy.

I'd probably start in the Milky Way. How to get it, I have no idea, but I'd probably start by sending probes out of the solar system.

It would take a probe millions upon millions of years to reach the other side of the galaxy. And also, it would have to return to Earth.

Interstellar travel does not yet exist, and probably won't for hundreds/thousands of years, if ever..

Kutt said:
It would take a probe millions upon millions of years to reach the other side of the galaxy. And also, it would have to return to Earth.
But "outside the solar system and within the galaxy" does not mean you have to go all the way to the other side of the galaxy.

That being said ... it's pretty impractical to think about sending probes to collect it when so little is currently known about it.

Astronuc;4235222Nevertheless said:
http://cogent.pnnl.gov/[/url]
Holly crap (bold by me).
The CoGeNT Experiment uses a single, 440-gram, high-purity germanium crystal cooled to liquid nitrogen temperatures in its measurements.

That's one big crystal. I'd like to know how they keep noise from entering the picture even at liquid nitrogen temps. :uhh: :confused:

Drakkith said:
Everywhere.

You would not. It is not possible to gather because it does not interact with anything. This means it would literally pass right through your hands if you tried to grab it.

Well that's not entirely true. Since dark matter supposedly interacts only through gravity if one had somehow found out how to manipulate gravity and built a containment unit that would also do so then you could possibly collect it. However we aren't exactly at the point at which we can do that.

Kutt said:

Interstellar travel does not yet exist, and probably won't for hundreds/thousands of years, if ever..
However you have to realize that not only are we getting further in technological advances, but the rate at which we further in these technologies is getting faster. If you believe in singularity and the possibility of being "downloaded" onto a computer then assume the possibility of this allowing us to increase our cognitive capabilities therefore we might even be able to acquire this technology faster. If not well medical sciences are advancing so this generation might get to see that happen.

Could DM be used to fuel the propulsion system of an interstellar spacecraft ?

Kutt said:
Could DM be used to fuel the propulsion system of an interstellar spacecraft ?

Do you think that something that doesn't interact through any of the fundamental forces other than gravity is capable of being used as fuel? Keep in mind we've already explained that we can't even catch any to even observe, so you wouldn't be able to store it. Instead of asking random questions, think about what it means for something to not interact with something else.

Timewalker6 said:
Well that's not entirely true. Since dark matter supposedly interacts only through gravity if one had somehow found out how to manipulate gravity and built a containment unit that would also do so then you could possibly collect it. However we aren't exactly at the point at which we can do that.

Please, let's stick to real physics and not science fiction unless we are talking about a story or novel that wants to ignore real world physics.

Drakkith said:
Please, let's stick to real physics and not science fiction unless we are talking about a story or novel that wants to ignore real world physics.

I had also said that we can't exactly do that.

Are you sure you are not getting confused with antimatter? I recall antimatter bombs being unleashed but never came across darkmatter bombs. Maybe it were the creators of the show whom got confused. If those bombs resulted in a big effin explosion they probably started with antimatter bombs and changed it to dark for the coolfactor.

As for darkmatter, seen as we don't really have a grasp on it, its anything you want it to be :p .

If you're in need of a destructive [STRIKE]instrument[/STRIKE], er... bomb, wouldn't a dark energy driven device be more appropriate?

BTW, I'm no expert/physicist, but a big rip style bomb would seem to be more, umm, explosive.:tongue:

Looks like this discussion has drifted off-topic from the OP:
Kutt said:
I've seen "dark matter bombs" portrayed in some science fiction movies, but is this actually scientifically plausible?
... a perfectly legitimate question to ask here in the "Science Fiction & Fantasy" subforum.
Drakkith said:
Exactly. We're either talking about real science, or we make it clear that we are talking about fiction.
Timewalker6 said:
I had also said that we can't exactly do that.
Actually, at Physics Forums, we do exactly that or we don't post here. Consider it our forum's Prime Directive, if I may borrow a phrase from a popular old sci fi show.

1. What is a "Dark Matter Bomb"?

A "Dark Matter Bomb" is a hypothetical device that is theorized to be able to harness the energy of dark matter, a type of matter that does not interact with light and is therefore invisible to traditional telescopes. This energy could potentially be used as a powerful source of energy for space travel and other applications.

2. How does a "Dark Matter Bomb" work?

The exact mechanics of how a "Dark Matter Bomb" would work is still a topic of debate and research among scientists. However, one proposed idea is that it would involve using a large amount of dark matter particles and somehow releasing their energy in a controlled manner.

3. Is a "Dark Matter Bomb" currently possible to create?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that a "Dark Matter Bomb" is currently possible to create. The existence of dark matter has been confirmed through various observations, but we still have limited understanding of its properties and behavior. More research and advancements in technology will be needed before we can even consider creating such a device.

4. What are the potential benefits of a "Dark Matter Bomb"?

If a "Dark Matter Bomb" were to be successfully created, it could potentially provide a nearly limitless source of energy for space travel, which could greatly benefit our ability to explore and colonize other planets. It could also have various other applications in energy production and propulsion technology.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with a "Dark Matter Bomb"?

Since the concept of a "Dark Matter Bomb" is still purely theoretical, there is currently no way to accurately assess any potential risks or dangers associated with it. However, as with any new technology, caution and careful consideration would need to be taken to ensure the safety and ethical implications of its use.