Calculating Drag: Measuring Time with Light Gates

• Thread starter tom jenkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary: SUVAT equations to find the velocityIn summary, the experiment involved calculating the drag of a toy car going down a slope by measuring time at different distances and using light gates. The theoretical and actual velocities were also calculated using the force components and SUVAT equations, taking into account friction and air resistance.
tom jenkins
i couducted an experiment trying to calculate the drag of a toy car going down a slope, i measured this at different distances 2.0m to 0.5m at 0.1m intervals along a 15° slope. i measured the time using light gates. i put one light gate at the end of the slope and one where the car started from e.g. 2.0m or 0.5m

how do i work out the drag?

results for 2m are 1.24s
i tried working out the actual average velocity and then the theoretical average velocity

i tried working out the actual veloity by using vectors and suvat
2cos15 = 1.93
2sin15 = 0.52
i worked out the vertical acceleration and also the horizontal acceleration

how do i work out the actual velocity and the theoretical velocity down the slope?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a force pulling the car vertically downwards due to the gravitational attraction of earth.

This force can be split up into two components, a component pulling the car into the slope (perpendicularly to the slope), and a force pulling the car down the slope (parallel to the slope)

The total vertical force = mass of the car * 9.81 = F

cos15=F/parallel force
sin15=F/perpendicular force

so from this you can work out the components.

The maximum theoretical velocity assuming no friction or air resistance can be worked out using the force pulling the car parallel to the slope.

parallel acceleration = parallel F / M

then use SUVAT equations to find the velocity.

However the actual force pulling the car down parallel to the slope will be slightly less, because there will be a force in the opposite direction due to friction and air resistance.

so parallel acceleration = (parallel F - (air resistance force + friction force) )/ M

the friction force will equal a constant of friction between the tires and the slope multiplied by the perpendicular force pulling the car into the slope.

F(friction) = u * perpendicular force

it will be difficult to find u, as you now have two unknowns, the friction constant, and the force due to air ressistance, however you can work out what the net retardant force equals

net retardant force = (air resistance force + friction force)

1. How do light gates measure time?

Light gates use a light source and a light detector to measure the time an object takes to pass through them. When the object breaks the light beam, the detector sends a signal to a timer, which records the time it took for the object to pass through the gate.

2. Can light gates accurately measure the speed of an object?

Yes, light gates can accurately measure the speed of an object by using the recorded time and the known distance between the gates. The speed can be calculated using the formula speed = distance/time.

3. How does drag affect the time measured by light gates?

Drag can affect the time measured by light gates by slowing down the object as it passes through the gates. This can result in a longer time recorded by the timer, which would lead to inaccurate calculations of speed.

4. Are light gates affected by external factors such as wind or temperature?

Yes, external factors such as wind or temperature can affect the accuracy of light gates. Wind can cause objects to deviate from their intended path and temperature can affect the speed of the object, both of which can impact the time measured by the gates.

5. How can light gates be used to study drag?

Light gates can be used to study drag by measuring the time it takes for an object to pass through the gates with and without a drag-inducing material attached. By comparing the two times, the impact of drag on the object can be determined and studied further.