Why Does BeF2 Have Covalent Bonds Despite Being an Ionic Compound?

• Thread starter mcfaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, BeF2 is an exception to the rule that suggests an ionic bond will be formed if the difference in electronegative values is greater than 2.0. Despite having a difference of 2.5, BeF2 is a molecular compound with covalent bonds. This is because BeF2 does not follow the rules of thumb and is an example of imperfection in reality.
mcfaker
Is BeF2 an Ionic compound??

Hi,

Be is a metal & F is a non-metal. this means its an ionic compound made of cations & anions.
Non-metals form molecular compounds which consist of molecules ( and molecules always contain covalent bonds).

Now if BeF2 is an ionic compound, why does it have a covalent bond? Thats just crazy because the electronegative value of Be is 1,5 and the one of F is 4! This means an ionic bond must be formed!

Can someone please explain, because I am really confused. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are a victim of rules of thumb. They work - unless they don't.

There is nothing wrong with the logic you presented - yes, in the perfect world we would expect BeF2 to be highly ionic. Unfortunately, reality is full of imperfections.

Thank you for answering!, now I can read on because of your answer. Then how do I know if ts going to be an ionic bond or a covalent? The change of electronegativity must be bigger than what value to become an ionic substance?

Thanks much appreciated!

mcfaker said:
Thank you for answering!, now I can read on because of your answer. Then how do I know if ts going to be an ionic bond or a covalent? The change of electronegativity must be bigger than what value to become an ionic substance?

You are asking for another rule of thumb. I told you there was nothing wrong with your approach, some substances just don't care about our rules. BeF2 is one of them, other notable example is anhydrous AlCl3.

Heck, even anhydrous FeCl3 is covalent enough to sublimate.

To put it another way: you have correctly expected BeF2 to be ionic. You just have to be prepared to be occasionally wrong.

So please confirm me if I am right:
The substance BeF2 is a molecular compound with covalent bonds even though there is a difference in electronegativity greater than 2.0 which normally implies that an ionic bond is formed. There is no ionic bond in BeF2 so its not an ionic compound.

So overall this is an exception to the rule that suggests that if the difference in Electronegative values is greater than 2.0 an ionic bond will be formed.

Am I correct?

mcfaker said:
overall this is an exception to the rule that suggests that if the difference in Electronegative values is greater than 2.0 an ionic bond will be formed.

Yes.

1. What is the chemical formula for BeF2?

The chemical formula for BeF2 is BeF2, which represents one atom of beryllium and two atoms of fluorine.

2. Is BeF2 an ionic compound?

Yes, BeF2 is an ionic compound. This is because beryllium, a metal, donates its two valence electrons to fluorine, a nonmetal, resulting in the formation of an ionic bond.

3. What is the structure of BeF2?

BeF2 has a linear molecular structure, with beryllium at the center and fluorine atoms on either side. This structure is also known as a linear molecule.

4. What are the properties of BeF2?

BeF2 is a white, crystalline solid at room temperature and pressure. It is highly soluble in water and has a low melting and boiling point. It is also highly reactive and can react with water to produce hydrofluoric acid.

5. What are the common uses of BeF2?

BeF2 is commonly used as a precursor for the production of other beryllium compounds. It is also used in the production of ceramics and in the manufacturing of electronic devices. It is also used in the production of fluorine gas, which is used in a variety of industrial processes.