Mathematical Integral in Neuroscience Paper

In summary, the cited paper looks at a mathematical problem that is difficult to solve. The key point is that the authors were able to find the paper and find the relevant page. They were also stimulated by the searching problem and not by the neuroscience.
madness
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting a mathematical result in the following paper:

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-540-88853-6_4#page-1

In particular, I can't figure out how they reach equation 7. They use equations (3) and (5), and I think they discard a lot of the terms in the integral based on the assumption that A decays exponentially or faster. I think they also use the symmetry of the integral to change the limits. Can anyone figure it out?

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, madman, if you wanted to send me 30 clams (US), I may be able to look into that for you since I can only get the abstract without paying. I'd use my own money, but I'm saving the $30 to go see "Man of steel" this weekend after loading up for the fun with a few tacos:smile: Sorry.

DiracPool said:
Well, madman, if you wanted to send me 30 clams (US), I may be able to look into that for you since I can only get the abstract without paying. I'd use my own money, but I'm saving the $30 to go see "Man of steel" this weekend after loading up for the fun with a few tacos:smile: Sorry.

You'd earn $0.05! Or maybe not, final prices depend on local VAT ...

The cited paper has been collected and published in a book "Dynamic Brain - from Neural Spikes to Behaviors: 12th International Summer School on Neural Networks, Erice, Italy, December 5-12, 2007, Revised". I found it on amazon.com. The key point is that amazon allows for searching inside the book. By searching on "Yoshioka" (one of the coauthors of the paper), I was able to find the paper and scroll to the relevant page. I was stimulated by the searching problem, not the neuroscience and I can't help with the derivation. But now atyy can both look at the paper for free and watch Superman. What a great start to the weekend!

As a fellow scientist, I can understand the frustration of trying to understand a mathematical result in a paper. In order to reach equation 7, it seems that the authors have made certain assumptions and simplifications based on the properties of the integral. It is important to carefully read and analyze the equations (3) and (5) to understand the logic behind their approach. Additionally, it might be helpful to reach out to the authors for clarification or seek assistance from a mathematician or statistician who may have more expertise in this area. It is also possible that the authors have made an error and it would be important to address this in order to accurately interpret the results of the paper. I hope this helps and best of luck with your research!

1. What is a mathematical integral in neuroscience?

A mathematical integral in neuroscience is a type of mathematical operation that is used to calculate the area under a curve. In neuroscience, it is often used to analyze data from brain imaging techniques, such as fMRI, to measure brain activity.

2. Why are mathematical integrals important in neuroscience research?

Mathematical integrals are important in neuroscience research because they allow researchers to quantitatively analyze and interpret data from brain imaging techniques. This helps to better understand brain function and can lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of neuroscience.

3. How are mathematical integrals used in neuroscience papers?

Mathematical integrals are used in neuroscience papers to analyze data and calculate important measures, such as the area under a curve or the amount of brain activity in a specific region. These measures can then be used to support the research findings and draw conclusions.

4. What types of data can be analyzed using mathematical integrals in neuroscience?

Mathematical integrals can be used to analyze various types of data in neuroscience, including brain imaging data, electrical signals from neurons, and behavioral data. They can also be used to compare and combine data from different sources, such as brain imaging and behavioral data.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical integrals in neuroscience research?

Yes, there are some limitations to using mathematical integrals in neuroscience research. One limitation is that they rely on assumptions and simplifications of complex brain processes. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as noise in the data or the specific mathematical model used.