Arc length of a regular parametrized curve

In summary, the arc length of a regular parametrized curve \alpha : I \to \mathbb{R}^3 can be defined as s(t) = \int^t_{t_0}|\alpha'(t)|dt, where |\alpha'(t)| is the length of the vector \alpha'(t). This arc length is a differentiable function of t and its derivative is given by ds/dt = |\alpha'(t)|. If t is already the arc length, then ds/dt is equal to 1, and if |\alpha'(t)| is equal to 1, then s = t - t_0.
tuggler
Given [tex]t\in I[/tex]the arc length of a regular parametrized curve [tex]\alpha : I \to \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] from the point [tex]t_0[/tex] is by definition [tex]s(t) = \int^t_{t_0}|\alpha'(t)|dt[/tex] where [tex]|\alpha'(t)| = \sqrt{(x'(t))^2+(y'(t))^2+(z'(t))^2}[/tex] is the length of the vector [tex]\alpha'(t).[/tex] Since [tex]\alpha'(t) \ne 0[/tex] the arc length [tex]s[/tex] is a differentiable function of and [tex]ds/dt = |\alpha'(t)|.[/tex]

This is where I get confused.

It can happen that the parameter [tex]t[/tex]is already the arc length measured from some point. In this case, [itex]ds/dt = 1 =|\alpha'(t)|[/tex]. Conversely, if [tex]|\alpha'(t)| = 1[/tex] then [tex]s = \int_{t_0}^t dt = t - t_0.[/tex]

How did they get that it equals 1? I am not sure what they are saying?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Opps, I am in the wrong thread. How can I delete this?

tuggler said:
Given [tex]t\in I[/tex]the arc length of a regular parametrized curve [tex]\alpha : I \to \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] from the point [tex]t_0[/tex] is by definition [tex]s(t) = \int^t_{t_0}|\alpha'(t)|dt[/tex] where [tex]|\alpha'(t)| = \sqrt{(x'(t))^2+(y'(t))^2+(z'(t))^2}[/tex] is the length of the vector [tex]\alpha'(t).[/tex] Since [tex]\alpha'(t) \ne 0[/tex] the arc length [tex]s[/tex] is a differentiable function of and [tex]ds/dt = |\alpha'(t)|.[/tex]

This is where I get confused.

It can happen that the parameter [tex]t[/tex]is already the arc length measured from some point. In this case, [itex]ds/dt = 1 =|\alpha'(t)|[/tex]. Conversely, if [tex]|\alpha'(t)| = 1[/tex] then [tex]s = \int_{t_0}^t dt = t - t_0.[/tex]

How did they get that it equals 1? I am not sure what they are saying?

If t is arc length (that is: s = t), then ds/dt = 1. If this doesn't answer your question you need to elaborate.

1. What is the definition of arc length of a regular parametrized curve?

The arc length of a regular parametrized curve is the distance along the curve from the starting point to the ending point.

2. How is the arc length of a regular parametrized curve calculated?

The arc length is calculated by taking the integral of the magnitude of the derivative of the curve's parametric equations over the interval of the curve.

3. What is the significance of the arc length of a regular parametrized curve?

The arc length is important in determining the distance traveled by an object moving along the curve, as well as in various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can the arc length of a regular parametrized curve be negative?

No, the arc length is always a positive value as it represents a distance measurement along the curve.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the arc length of a regular parametrized curve?

Yes, there are other methods such as using arc length approximations or numerical integration techniques. However, the integral method is the most accurate and widely used approach.