Register to reply

Relation between E and Potential gradient.

by harjyot
Tags: gradient, potential, relation
Share this thread:
harjyot
Mar1-14, 01:57 PM
P: 42
According to the theory,
E= -dv/dx
or E.dx = -dv
So if both are positive, the potential drop should increase.
But as we know, if a positive charge is placed, as the distance from it keeps on increasing, field strength starts decreasing and potential drop should increase But this is contradictory right?

Similarly if we make a diagram of field lines along the x-axis and place a sample charge at (a,0,0) and move it to (b,0,0) such that b>a, how can we predict which is at greater potential : a or b? The field value isn't given
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
UltrafastPED
Mar1-14, 06:43 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
You must take the sign of the charge into account.
sophiecentaur
Mar2-14, 11:55 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,958
Quote Quote by UltrafastPED View Post
You must take the sign of the charge into account.
Well, yes but Electric Potential is defined in terms of a unit positive charge. The Potential Energy of a charge will depend upon its magnitude and sign.
In situations like this, the thing to do is to follow the signs rigorously and not to trust to intuition. The system is quite consistent.

UltrafastPED
Mar2-14, 03:58 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Relation between E and Potential gradient.

Isn't that what I said?
sophiecentaur
Mar2-14, 04:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,958
I didn't say I disagreed. I was just amplifying and emphasising.
DaleSpam
Mar2-14, 05:34 PM
Mentor
P: 16,999
Quote Quote by harjyot View Post
So if both are positive, the potential drop should increase.
But as we know, if a positive charge is placed, as the distance from it keeps on increasing, field strength starts decreasing
Yes, this is correct.

and potential drop should increase
As the field strength decreases the potential drop also decreases. I am not sure why you think otherwise.

Similarly if we make a diagram of field lines along the x-axis and place a sample charge at (a,0,0) and move it to (b,0,0) such that b>a, how can we predict which is at greater potential : a or b? The field value isn't given
You don't need to calculate fields to determine the potential. Potentials are linear, so you can simply add them up or shift them around like any other linear function.
jaytech
Mar4-14, 04:38 PM
P: 64
Think of potential as the energy required to bring a charge from infinitely far away to the point in question. The closer you get to the point in question (say a positive charge), the higher your potential. Now think of the potential as a hilltop. At infinity it is flat, but as you get closer to your charge, the hill gets steeper. This "steepness" is the field.

Register to reply