Escape Velocity of a spherical asteroid

In summary, the conversation discusses a spherical asteroid with a radius of 5 km and a mass of 8.65x10^15 kg. The question is asked about the acceleration of gravity on the surface of the asteroid, which is calculated to be approximately .023 m/s2. The conversation then moves on to discuss the asteroid's spin and the greatest value that the angular speed can have before rocks on the equator begin to fly off. This can be calculated using the equation Wf^2 = Wi^2 + 2*a*d, where a is the centrifugal force and d is the distance from the center of the asteroid. However, taking gravity into account is also important in this calculation.
SoccaCrazy24
Consider a spherical asteroid with a radius of 5 km and a mass of 8.65x10^15 kg.
(a) What is the acceleration of gravity on the surface of this asteroid?
ANSWER: ___ m/s2
(b) Suppose the asteroid spins about an axis through its center, like the Earth, with an angular speed . What is the greatest value can have before loose rocks on the asteroid's equator begin to fly off the surface?
ANSWER: ___ rad/s

For (a) which I got right... I used the equation g=(G*M)/R^2
g=(6.67e-11*8.65e15)/(5000^2)=.023078 m/s2

For (b) I used the equation Wf^2= Wi^2 + 2*a*d and i substituted the numbers into get... Wf^2 = 0 + 2(.023037*2pi)(31415.9m*2pi) and I got it to be 95.45 rad/s and for some reason this is not right... am I even using the right equation or is there another equation i can use to get the answer such as maybe... F= (G*M*m)/R^2 ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got no idea what you've done in (b), but have you taken gravity into account at all?

I'd use centrifugal force.

Consider that, in circular motion:

[tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}=\omega^2r[/tex]

If a > g, then what would happen?

Does this help you?

Regards,
Sam

so you are saying a =w^2 * r... so w = sqroot(a/r) so w= sqroot(.023037/5000) = .0021465 ?

already tried that method

i already tried that method greg and i got the wrong answer...im not liking this topic at all lol

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or asteroid.

2. How is escape velocity calculated for a spherical asteroid?

The formula for calculating escape velocity for a spherical asteroid is:
Ve = √(2GM/R)
where Ve is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the asteroid, and R is the radius of the asteroid.

3. What factors affect the escape velocity of a spherical asteroid?

The escape velocity of a spherical asteroid is affected by its mass and radius. A larger mass or radius will result in a higher escape velocity, while a smaller mass or radius will result in a lower escape velocity.

4. Can escape velocity be changed for a spherical asteroid?

Yes, escape velocity can be changed for a spherical asteroid by altering its mass or radius. For example, if the mass of the asteroid is increased, the escape velocity will also increase. Similarly, if the radius of the asteroid is decreased, the escape velocity will decrease.

5. Why is escape velocity important for studying asteroids?

Escape velocity is important for studying asteroids because it helps us understand their ability to escape the gravitational pull of larger bodies. This information is crucial for predicting the trajectory and potential impacts of asteroids in our solar system.