Spider's ancestors-Just curious

• Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, spiders evolved from early Cambrian species and belong to the Arthropoda group, specifically the Chelicerata group. Their main relatives include horseshoe crabs, scorpions, and trilobites. Trilobites and sea scorpions dominated the late Cambrian seas. Sea spiders, also known as pycnogonids, are the most primitive and likely descended directly from the ancestors of all modern terrestrial spiders. There are some promising websites that offer more information on the evolution of spiders, but their reliability is uncertain.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
What did the spider evolve from? Just curious.

-Dan

Biology news on Phys.org
Spiders are Arthropods - meaning mostly that they they have an exoskeleton. Chelicerata is the group they are in. Their main cousins are horseshoe crabs, scorpions, trilobites.

All of the Arthropoda evolved from early Cambrian species. Chelicerates have their body parts (head, thorax, abdomen all fused), other arthropods don't. Trilobites dominated the the late Cambrian seas, along with sea scorpions.

Sea spiders (pycnogonids) are very primitive (meaning unchanged from a beginning ancestor ~500 million YA) and are probably descended directly from the ancestors of all modern terrestrial spiders.

I'm going to stick my neck out here (spider bite!) and offer a couple promising-looking sites I came across from a quick Google search. I haven't read it thoroughly, and I'm no spider expert, so I don't know how reliable they are...

http://www.earthlife.net/chelicerata/web-evolve.html
http://www.arachnology.be/pages/Paleontology.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Phobos said:
I'm going to stick my neck out here (spider bite!) and offer a couple promising-looking sites I came across from a quick Google search. I haven't read it thoroughly, and I'm no spider expert, so I don't know how reliable they are...

http://www.earthlife.net/chelicerata/web-evolve.html
http://www.arachnology.be/pages/Paleontology.html

Thanks all! For the record, I'm phobic and I like to know my enemy... :devil:

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are spider's ancestors?

Spiders are arthropods and their ancestors can be traced back to the Cambrian period, over 500 million years ago. They are believed to have evolved from a group of extinct arachnid-like animals called trigonotarbids.

2. How did spiders evolve?

The evolution of spiders is a complex and ongoing process. They are believed to have evolved from a group of extinct arachnid-like animals called trigonotarbids. Over time, they developed unique adaptations such as silk production and venomous fangs, which helped them to survive and thrive in their environments.

3. What are some characteristics of spider's ancestors?

Spiders' ancestors, the trigonotarbids, were terrestrial arthropods with a segmented body, eight legs, and a pair of pedipalps (sensory organs). They also had a pair of small fangs and silk-producing glands, which are believed to be the precursors to the silk-producing spinnerets found in modern spiders.

4. Are there any living species that are related to spiders?

Yes, there are several living species that are closely related to spiders, including scorpions, mites, ticks, and harvestmen. These species all belong to the class Arachnida, which shares a common ancestor with spiders.

5. What is the significance of studying spider's ancestors?

Studying spider's ancestors can provide valuable insights into the evolution and diversification of spiders, as well as the evolution of other arachnids. It can also help us understand the adaptations and behaviors that have allowed spiders to thrive on Earth for millions of years.