How does US maths and physics courses compare with british A-level?

In summary, the typical US high school math curriculum covers precalculus, AP Calculus AB, and AP Calculus BC. Precalculus includes topics such as trigonometry, functions, logarithms, and limits. AP Calculus AB covers limits, derivatives, and basic integration. AP Calculus BC covers more advanced topics such as applications of integration, infinite series, and vector derivatives. Some schools also offer the opportunity for students to take classes at nearby universities, including courses such as Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations. However, content and level of difficulty may vary between schools and states.
finchie_88
Just a matter of interest, but how do the US physics and mathematics courses for students before university (The final year before university) compare with the British A-level courses? what is the typical content of the US courses at this age? For example, what is included in "precalculus", and so on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Precalculus as I was taught it includes more on trigonometric functions, trigonometric identities, a little formal proof, some geometry, a little stuff about polynomials. It basically finished covering all math up to the SAT II Mathematics IIC test (see http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/math2c/) , though there's no guarantee that a given student will learn all of it.

High school calculus as I learned it covered basic integration and differentiation in 1 variable, some techniques of integration, limits, some series and sequences, finding volumes of solids of revolution, and implicit differentiation/rates of change problems. It basically covered all math up to the AP Calculus AB or BC test (BC being the more advanced but some schools only teaching AB). See http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/calculus/ap-cd-calc-0607.pdf

High school physics as I learned it was one year of non-calculus-based mechanics and wave motion.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is purely from my own experience in High School (I'm a 12th grade student currently) and that of people I've spoken to in other states and in different school systems.

Precalculus- At my school, this course is basically half a year of review over trignometry, functions, logarithms, exponential functions, basic algebra. In the halfway through the year, my teacher began teaching limits with epsilon-delta. The class spent a good time doing limits this way and studying limits in general. We moved on to Derivatives using the limit definition, proved many basic derivatives (e^x, sin(x), cos(x), etc.). The teacher proceded to teach derivatives, applications of derivatives, and anti-differentiation. We did no actual definite integration.

AP Calculus AB: This course is typically offered at my school. It covers a normal Calculus I course (I believe) starting with limits and continuity, continuing through with derivatives, applications of derivatives, integration, applications of integration (Volume via shell and cylinder methods.)

AP Calculus BC: This course covers a standard Calculus I and II course. It continues where AB Calculus left off and explores more applications of integration (Work, Arc Length, Surface Area), explores techniques of integration, does infinite series, power series, polar and parametric and basic vector derivatives and things of that sort.

Many High Schools in the US offer a system where a student can take classes at nearby universities. One of my friends opted to do this instead of taking large numbers of AP classes. He is currently in Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations (I also go to DE, mostly for education but also because it is entertaining.)

Furthermore, some schools actually offer Linear Algebra, although I doubt it is on par with university level Linear Algebra.

I've spoken with many students from other states; they basically do the same AP Calculus work, but less proofs for basic derivatives and their precalculus lacked calculus. That's, from what I've seen, how the US does High School math.

1. How do US maths and physics courses differ from British A-levels?

The main difference between US maths and physics courses and British A-levels is the structure and curriculum. US courses tend to be more broad and cover a wider range of topics, while A-levels are more focused and in-depth. Additionally, US courses often have a heavier emphasis on practical applications, while A-levels focus more on theoretical concepts.

2. Are US maths and physics courses more challenging than British A-levels?

This is subjective and depends on the individual student. However, US courses typically have a higher workload and require more independent study, while A-levels often have more structured lessons and assessments. Both can be challenging in their own ways.

3. Will my US maths and physics credits transfer to a British university?

It is possible for US credits to transfer to a British university, but it ultimately depends on the specific university and their policies. It is important to research and communicate with the university beforehand to ensure that your credits will transfer.

4. How do the teaching styles in US and British maths and physics courses differ?

In general, US courses tend to have a more interactive and student-centered approach, with a focus on group work and hands-on activities. British A-levels often have a more traditional lecture-style format with an emphasis on note-taking and individual study.

5. Are there any notable differences in the difficulty level of US and British maths and physics exams?

Again, this can vary depending on the individual student and their strengths. However, US exams often have a larger emphasis on problem-solving and critical thinking skills, while A-level exams may focus more on memorization and recall of information. Both can be challenging in their own ways.