Crater Size from 55kg Metal Cylinder Impact

In summary, a 55kg metal cylinder traveling at 2.5 km/sec is expected to make a crater of approximately 10 meters in diameter when it strikes the earth. The website provided calculates crater size based on various input parameters. A quick approximation can also be done by equating the kinetic energy of the object with the potential energy of raising the crater material to a certain height, such as 1 km.
rocky63
A metal cylinder of 55kg, (0.2m in diameter), traveling at 2.5 km/sec strikes the earth. How big a crater can it be expected to make, given average characteristics for the ground where struck?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hoave you tried this
its a bit of a spoiler to a good question, or bit of fun, but then again its ever usefull http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/tekton/crater_c.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be around 10 metres, but try this link. You input various parameters and it calculates crater size. Maybe some of the experts here will be able to say if it's reasonable or not.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/tekton/crater_c.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OT comments removed...try to be a little more forgiving, star.torturer. You're kinda new yourself...

I wonder if you could do a quick approximation by just equating the KE of the incoming object with the PE of raising the crater material by some nominal amount. Say, 1km? I wonder how close that comes to the numbers in the article in the above link (sorry, I didn't follow the link).

Thank you. Your suggestion was just what I needed. I appreciate it.

Rocky 63

Thank you. You're the second person that sent me to this site. Great help and much appreciated.

Thanks Russ Watters and Berkeman for your replies as well.

What is the purpose of studying crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact?

The purpose of studying crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact is to understand the impact and potential damage that heavy objects, such as meteorites, may have on the Earth's surface.

How is the crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact measured?

The crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact is measured by the diameter and depth of the crater created upon impact.

What factors can affect the crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact?

The factors that can affect the crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact include the velocity and angle of impact, the composition of the surface, and the density and shape of the impacting object.

What are some potential applications of studying crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact?

Studying crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact can have applications in planetary science, impact craters on Earth, and assessing the potential impact of large objects on our planet.

What other variables should be considered when studying crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact?

Other variables that should be considered when studying crater size from 55kg metal cylinder impact include the energy and force of the impact, the environmental conditions (such as temperature and atmospheric pressure), and the size and shape of the impacted surface.