Gear Shaft Design: Calculating Forces on the Gear Shaft

In summary, In this conversation, an expert summarizer is explaining how to calculate the forces on a gear shaft when a drive torque is applied. First, the torques on the shafts must be determined, and then the displacements between the gears must be calculated. Finally, the appropriate shaft diameter can be found using the provided information.
mickdriscoll
hi everyone,

suppose i have a system of gears where one shaft contains the initial pinion. a drive torque is applied to the pinion shaft so that the pinion then applies a force to the gear its connected to. how would i calculate the forces on the gear shaft? it is a static system (contant velocity and load torque).

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take the torques about the shafts and relate the displacements by [tex]x=r \theta[/tex] Both gears travel the same arc length.

thanks for the quick response. what I am wondering is how do i calculate the torques? the system layout is attached

i have the drive torque (the bottom shaft). the load torque (the top shaft) is constant but not given. my end goal is to calculate a suitable intermediate shaft (the middle shaft) diameter but i think i can do that.

first i need the torques in the intermediate shaft though. will the load torque simply be equal to the drive torque in order to maintain static equilibrium? i don't really know where to start here. i presume there will be two torques acting on the intermediate shaft as there is a gear and a pinion on it.. i know the gear and pinion sizes.
thanks for the help.

Attachments

• system.JPG
    system.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,258
Last edited:
Torque is force times distance.

so i just work out the force applied by the pinion on the drive shaft and then put the force on the gear of the intermediate shaft times the distance? sounds obvious now. do i baisically treat the system as not moving (static) under the constant velocity condition?

Can you upload your image onto something like imageshack and put the link?

okay I am working on it now. just a sec

here is the gear system:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4991/741/1600/system.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
error.

Try www.imageshack.cc[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the radii of all the pieces?

no, none of the shaft radii are given. i am to work out minimum shaft diameter of the intermediate shaft given the information above. the gears sizes ARE given. i assume that in order to start i should work out the torques on the intermediate shaft.

Well, I have to do a prelab writeup right now. Errr, I can help you later tonight or tomorrow, but I have to get work done.

Some things to do in the meantime:

Torque = Force times distance

Use that knowledge to find the force as you move from one gear to the next.

When you know the force, it is equal and opposite at the gear in mesh. Use that same equation to find the next torque or radii, depending on what you need to solve for.

Ill be back later, sorry.

okay that's fine. thanks a lot for your help. if i come across any more problems i'll post them and wait for your reply.

cheers

1. What is a gear shaft and its purpose?

A gear shaft is a mechanical component that connects two or more gears in a system. Its main purpose is to transmit power and motion between the gears.

2. How are forces calculated on a gear shaft?

Forces on a gear shaft can be calculated using the formula F = T/r, where F is the force, T is the torque, and r is the radius of the gear shaft. This formula takes into account the angular velocity and direction of rotation of the gears.

3. What factors affect the forces on a gear shaft?

The forces on a gear shaft can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the gears, the speed and direction of rotation, the number of teeth on the gears, and the type of gear mesh.

4. How do different gear designs impact the forces on a gear shaft?

Different gear designs, such as spur, helical, and bevel gears, can have varying effects on the forces exerted on a gear shaft. For example, helical gears tend to have lower forces due to their gradual engagement, while bevel gears have higher forces due to their intersecting axes.

5. How important is it to accurately calculate forces on a gear shaft?

Accurately calculating forces on a gear shaft is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of the gear system. Overloading a gear shaft can lead to premature failure and damage to the gears, while underestimating forces can result in the system not performing as intended.