Spring, Damper, Mass: What does a Mass Do?

• Thread starter chandran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, a spring provides a force proportional to relative displacement, a damper provides a force proportional to relative velocity, and a mass provides a resistance to changes in motion and a force proportional to its acceleration, known as an inertial force. However, inertial forces only appear in non-inertial reference frames and do not have an agent, so in an inertial frame, forces are only provided by some external agent.
chandran
My observations

1)a spring gives a force proportional to the relative displacement of its ends

2)a damper gives a force proportional to the relative velocity of its ends

What does a mass do

I read in a theory that a mass gives a force proportional to its acceleration
and this force is called inertial force.

But my understanding is that when a force is applied by some agent to a mass it will accelerate. How is that a mass itself applies a force?

Physics news on Phys.org
chandran said:
What does a mass do
Think of mass as providing a resistance to changes in motion.

I read in a theory that a mass gives a force proportional to its acceleration
and this force is called inertial force.
Inertial forces only appear as an artifact of viewing things from a noninertial (accelerated) reference frame. (Which is often very useful.)

But my understanding is that when a force is applied by some agent to a mass it will accelerate. How is that a mass itself applies a force?
As long are you are viewing things from an inertial frame, the only forces are those provided by some agent. (Inertial forces have no agent.)

I can confirm that a mass does not apply a force on its own. It is the fundamental property of matter to resist changes in motion, known as inertia. When a force is applied to a mass, it will accelerate in the direction of the force. This acceleration is a result of the interaction between the applied force and the mass. In other words, the mass responds to the force applied to it, rather than applying a force itself.

In the context of a spring, damper, and mass system, the mass plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the system. The spring and damper provide external forces, but it is the mass that responds to these forces and causes the system to exhibit certain characteristics, such as oscillations or damping. Without the mass, the spring and damper would not have anything to act upon, and the system would not function as intended.

Furthermore, the mass also affects the natural frequency of the system. A higher mass will result in a lower natural frequency, meaning the system will oscillate at a slower rate. This is because a larger mass requires more force to accelerate, and therefore, the spring and damper need to exert more force to maintain the oscillations.

In summary, a mass does not apply a force on its own, but it is a crucial component in determining the behavior of a spring, damper, and mass system. It responds to external forces and affects the natural frequency of the system.

1. What is the purpose of a mass in a spring-damper system?

A mass in a spring-damper system provides inertia and resistance to movement, allowing the system to exhibit oscillatory behavior and absorb and dissipate energy.

2. How does the mass affect the behavior of the system?

The mass determines the natural frequency and amplitude of the oscillations in the system. A larger mass will result in a lower frequency and larger amplitude, while a smaller mass will result in a higher frequency and smaller amplitude.

3. Can a massless spring-damper system exist?

No, a massless spring-damper system is not physically possible. A mass is necessary to create the necessary forces and inertia for the system to function.

4. How does the mass affect the damping ratio of the system?

The mass has no direct effect on the damping ratio of a spring-damper system. However, a larger mass can increase the amount of energy that is dissipated through damping, resulting in a higher damping ratio.

5. Can the mass be placed anywhere in the system?

The mass must be placed between the spring and damper elements in order to function properly. If the mass is placed outside of this position, the system may not exhibit the desired oscillatory behavior and energy dissipation.