Proving Prime Divisibility of 2^(2^n)+1

In summary, the problem is to find a prime divisor of 2^(2^n+1). If this divisor exists, then p=2^{n+1}k+1.
Dragonfall

Homework Statement

Prove that if a prime [tex]p|2^{2^n}+1[/tex] then [tex]p=2^{n+1}k+1[/tex] for some k.

Don't know how. I'm guessing by induction, perhaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I have no idea how to proceed.

Yep, induction. Prove the first statement is true for n, then assume true for n=k+1.

is k an integer?

I don't see how this could be done by induction.

The problem seems interesting... however, I am also clueless about how to do this problem...

one suggestion is to assume all divisor in the form of:
[tex]2^{n+1}k+m[/tex]

then prove m is one using long division dividing:
[tex]x^{2^n}+1[/tex]
by
[tex]x^{n+1}k+m[/tex]

where x=2...

or it may help to view things in binary.

I thought I saw this once somewhere, oops! It was about Mersenne Numbers.

Anyway, Euler was the first person to prove the form of the factors. Fermat had conjectured, 1650, that his "Fermat Number" was always prime for all values, but Euler show differently: N=5 gives: 4,294,967,297 = 641x6700417. In fact beside the early cases N=0 to N=4, no one has found anymore "Fermat Primes."

This is about the only know case where Fermat was wrong about a conjecture, but, perhaps, those thinking Fermat actually solved his "own Last Theorem," might take note of his failure with the above conjecture.

Actually the problem is not that dissimilar to the Mersenne one. In this case we have 2^(2^n)==-1 Mod q, so that squaring produces 2^(2^(n+1)) ==1 Mod q for some prime divisor q.

To the modulus q, we have q-1 is the complete residue system, and 2^(2^n) is less than q, since it gave the value -1. Therefore 2^(n+1) is a divisor of this system q-1. Thus q=K2^(n+1)+1.

Note: Some of the values I looked at have a much higher power of two, and Lucas showed the value could be raised by 1 to q=2^(n+2)+1.

Last edited:
oh, that's brilliant!

correct me if I am wrong:
basically, you show that,
[tex]2^{2^{n+1}}\equiv 1 \pmod {q}[/tex]

since,
[tex]\text{ord}_q(2)|q-1, 2^{n+1}[/tex]edit: mistakes. Sorry, but I do not understand group theories.. although I do have a little bit knowledge in number theory.

nevermind... I see.

Last edited:
The order of the element divides the order of the group. This is called Lagrange's Theorem. The order of the group is q-1. This is also connected with Fermat's Little Theorem: X^(p-1)==1 Mod p, for every element X, but some elements only need a smaller power than p-1, but a divisor of p-1.

I understand your proof, but it seems like cheating to invoke group theory. Thanks though.

What is the formula for proving prime divisibility of 2^(2^n)+1?

The formula is 2^(2^n)+1 = (2^2)^n + 1.

What is the significance of the number 2^(2^n)+1 in mathematics?

2^(2^n)+1 is known as a Fermat number, named after the mathematician Pierre de Fermat. It is significant because it is closely related to Fermat's Last Theorem, one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics.

How can we prove that 2^(2^n)+1 is always divisible by 3?

We can prove this using mathematical induction. First, we can show that 2^(2^1)+1 = 5 is divisible by 3. Then, assuming that 2^(2^n)+1 is divisible by 3, we can show that 2^(2^(n+1))+1 is also divisible by 3. Therefore, by induction, we can conclude that 2^(2^n)+1 is always divisible by 3.

What is the relationship between 2^(2^n)+1 and Mersenne primes?

Mersenne primes are prime numbers in the form of 2^n-1, where n is a positive integer. Interestingly, 2^(2^n)+1 is a Mersenne number when n is equal to 1. However, for n>1, 2^(2^n)+1 is not a Mersenne number and may or may not be prime.

Why is proving the divisibility of 2^(2^n)+1 important in mathematics?

Proving the divisibility of 2^(2^n)+1 is important because it helps us understand the properties of prime numbers and their relationships with other numbers. It also has practical applications in cryptography and number theory.