Question from last year's topology exam

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the bouquet of two 2-spheres is a surface. The definition of a surface is mentioned as a paracompact Hausdorff 2-manifold without boundaries, and a manifold is defined as a topological space with an atlas. It is suggested that the question may be assuming smoothness, as smooth (orientable) surfaces are characterized by genus. It is recommended to speak to the person who set the exam for clarification.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Question 1 says "Is the bouquet* of two 2-spheres a surface"?

How does this question even makes sense? A surface is a paracompact Hausdorff 2-manifold w/o boundaries, and a manifold is a topological space plus an atlas. Here, no atlas is provided!

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouquet_of_spheres#Examples

Physics news on Phys.org
You use the 'obvious' one. Let me put it this way - is S^2, the sphere a surface? Of cousre it is, but you would deny it was.

A surface is something that is locally 2-d. The bouquet of two circles is homeomorphic to the sphere S^2 with the equator squeezed to a point. I would say it was moot if that was s surface. It is obviously not a smoorth surface, and I susepct your question is implicitly assuming smoothness. I.e. smooth (orientable) surfaces are characterized up to homeomorphism by genus.

I think you're better off talking to the person who set the exam to ask them what they're getting at.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are unchanged by continuous deformations.

2. What are the main concepts in topology?

The main concepts in topology include continuity, compactness, connectedness, and dimension.

3. How is topology relevant in real life?

Topology has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and biology. It can be used to model and analyze real-world systems and networks.

4. What are some common topological spaces?

Some common topological spaces include the real line, Euclidean space, sphere, torus, and Möbius strip.

5. How can one prepare for a topology exam?

To prepare for a topology exam, one should review the fundamental concepts, practice solving problems, and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.