Energy/Work/Efficiency/Metabolic Rate Question

• Thread starter miava
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the physical work done by a person in a 20-minute workout, given the efficiency and metabolic rate. The formula for calculating work is power multiplied by time, and since efficiency is defined as 10%, only one out of every 10 watts is going into physical work. The total work done is calculated using seconds as the unit of time. The conversation also clarifies that 700 watts is not per hour, but rather the metabolic rate, with only 70 watts going into work per hour. Therefore, in 20 minutes, the person would have done 23.33 watts of physical work.
miava

Homework Statement

A friend is doing a work out in a gym.

Suppose the efficiency for the activities in the work out is 10% and the metabolic rate is 700w, how much physical work would she have done in 20 minutes?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this question! I can't find any related formulas, so I was just hoping someone could help me out and start me in the right direction :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
Do you know definition of efficiency? Here it means that for every 10 watts she burns only one is going into physical work. A watt is unit of power.

the total work is power*time . You will need to keep your units straight so use seconds. Does that help?

Ok, so is the 700w per hour?? If so that would mean 70 watts going into work; 1.167 per minute; 23.33w of power for the 20 minutes. Is that correct?

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can come in many forms, including thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear. In scientific terms, energy is defined as the capacity of a physical system to perform work.

2. What is work?

Work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance that the object moves in the direction of the force. In simpler terms, work is done when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the same direction as the force.

3. How is efficiency calculated?

Efficiency is calculated by dividing the output of a system by its input. In terms of energy and work, efficiency can be calculated by dividing the output work by the input energy. This ratio is often expressed as a percentage, with 100% being a perfectly efficient system.

4. What is metabolic rate?

Metabolic rate is a measure of the amount of energy that an organism or cell uses over a certain period of time. It is often expressed in terms of energy per unit of time, such as joules per second or calories per hour. Metabolic rate is influenced by various factors, including age, body composition, and physical activity levels.

5. How can metabolic rate be increased?

Metabolic rate can be increased through various means, such as increasing physical activity, building muscle mass, and consuming certain foods and supplements. However, it is important to note that individual metabolic rates can vary and are largely determined by genetics and body composition. Consultation with a healthcare professional is recommended before making any significant changes to increase metabolic rate.