HELP Question About Radioactivity

In summary, the student is investigating how thick aluminium foil is based on the rate of beta particles passing through it. He has designed most of the experiment, but needs help with a few important questions. He has found a safe material to use, but needs to calibrate it every day to get accurate readings. He is also interested in finding a formula to calculate the mass stopping power for an element.
Dead Fish
URGENT HELP Question About Radioactivity

Im doing some Coursework in for... tomorow :S I know my own fault! but I've only just come across the Problem and I've been doing it for the last few Days.
Im designing an experiment Investigating the effect of Thickness of Aluminium against the Rate of Beta Particles passing through, so that people can find how thick it is based on the rate. I've desiged most of it, just a few queries but quite important ones!

-Im wondering what a graph of Thickness/Rate would actually look like... Exponential or Linear? I think it would be a negative linear gradient decreasing rate against increasing thickness.

-Should I be plotting a lg Thickness/lg Rate? and what effect on the graph does plotting logs do? why do you do it? I've come across Gravity/Distance from Centre which is Exp. Graph but log one was linear which may give me a better graph for calibrating the thickness against rate as i need a calibration graph so people can measure thickness with the rate.

-Finally, I know that Radioactivity decays with time... i do know something! heh. Should i be using a radioactive material with a long half life so the Rate of Beta Particles will not differ over time, OR does the rate stay the same?
Ive found Iodine 113 which i consider a perticularly safe material because its used in hospitals ect. and only 8day half life. but i figure activity will be changing every day so it needs to be callibrated almost every day to get accurate readings! not good! so i figured i need a fairly long half life (100's Years) so that the rate chages a little.

Sorry About My Bad Communicationaly Skills! :frown: Hope You can Help me! Ask be if Nothing makes Sense!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bethes formula : stopping power, familiar? [there are tow of them, one for heavy charged, and one for electrons]

Also with increasing life time, you will not get so many Beta particles / time.. otherwise you need a big samle. Say that you want 1000 decays / second, then you can calculate how much you need of every element if you know the elements half life.

Last edited:
Bethes formula? Mass Stopping Power... haven't come across this, what is it?

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the spontaneous emission of radiation from the nucleus of an atom. This process occurs when an unstable atom undergoes a nuclear reaction, releasing energy in the form of radiation.

2. How does radioactivity occur?

Radioactivity occurs when an atom has an unstable nucleus, meaning that it has an excess of either protons or neutrons. In an effort to become more stable, the atom will release energy in the form of radiation, such as alpha, beta, or gamma particles.

3. What are the dangers of radioactivity?

Exposure to high levels of radioactivity can be harmful to living organisms, as the radiation emitted can damage cells and DNA. This can lead to various health issues, including radiation sickness and an increased risk of cancer.

4. How is radioactivity measured?

The unit of measurement for radioactivity is the becquerel (Bq), which represents one nuclear decay per second. Other common units include the curie (Ci) and the gray (Gy).

5. How is radioactivity used in everyday life?

Radioactivity has many practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants for generating electricity, in medicine for imaging and treating diseases, and in various industries for sterilization and testing. It is also used in smoke detectors and certain types of clocks and watches.