I on this problem about angular speed.

In summary, a 22 kg child jumps onto a 110 kg rotating disk of radius 2.9 m. The initial angular speed of the disk is 2.1 rad/s. To solve this problem, we can apply conservation of angular momentum about the center of the disk. The moment of inertia for a flat disk is 0.25 * mass * radius^2. The final angular speed of the disk-child system can be calculated using the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the new angular momentum of the child must be equal to the initial angular momentum of the disk. Therefore, the final angular speed of the disk-child system can be solved using this equation.
dungtran88
A 22 kg child jumps onto the rim of a 110 kg rotating disk of radius 2.9 m. If the angular speed of the disk before the child's jump was 2.1 rad/s what is the angular speed of the disk-child system?

I got no idea how to start this problem or what formula to use. please help me solve this problem before the day is over. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
well the child jumping seems just too much.well anyways i assume that there is suffciient friction between the tyres and teh child(i assume him as a point mass :eek:)

just apply conservation of angular momentum about the centre of the disk.
since all forces torque are internal

Look up the definition of angular momentum and moment of inertia.

What is the angular momentum of the child at the radius of the roundabout?

Since angular momentum is conserved what has to happen to the momentum of the roundabout to provide the new angular momentum of the child?

ps. Unless I have missed something, you have to know that the moment of inertia of a flat disk = 0.25 * m * r^2

Last edited:

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in terms of an angle, while linear speed is measured in terms of distance traveled over time.

3. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This can be expressed as ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular speed, Δθ represents change in angle, and Δt represents change in time.

4. What factors can affect angular speed?

The factors that can affect angular speed include the size and shape of the object, the distance from the center of rotation, and the amount of force or torque applied to the object.

5. How is angular speed related to other rotational quantities?

Angular speed is related to other rotational quantities such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia. Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular speed, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is related to angular acceleration through the equation τ = Iα, where τ represents torque, I represents moment of inertia, and α represents angular acceleration.