Proving Matrix Equality with Inverse Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether X and Z are equal if XY = I and YZ = I, and presents a proof showing that this is indeed the case. The proof involves using the fact that if XY = I, then YX = I as well, and incorporating the left and right inverses of Y into the equation. It is also noted that the existence of inverses may need to be proven in order for this proof to hold.
ConeOfIce
The question is: Suppose one has n×n square matrices X, Y and Z such that
XY = I and Y Z = I. Show that it follows that X = Z.

Now if this were XY and ZY, I would just say that:

XY=ZY -> XY-ZY=0 ->Y(X-Z)=0 -> X-Z=0 -> X=Z.

I am wondering that since the Y is on different sides of the Z and X this still holds? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can just pull the Y out like that.

If I recall correctly, if XY = I, then doesn't YX = I aswell? If this is true perhaps you could encorporate it into your proof somehow.

Actually I think I just figured it out.
X^-1 Y =X^-1 I -> Y=X^-1

then sub that in for Y in the other equation
X^-1 Z = I
XX^-1 Z = X
Z=X

Thanks for your help!

it goes like this: XY = I so XYZ = IZ = Z.

but YZ = I too, so XYZ = XI = X. so X = XYZ = Z.

the problem with your argument is that there is no X^-1 unless yoiu prove this problem.

but if yu are careful, yu can use the fact that X = the left inverse of Y and Z = the right inverse of Y.

Oh, I forgot the inverses don't always exist...it has been a bit since I have done and linear algebra work. Your solution makes perfect sense, thanks!

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, linear transformations, and their relationships with vectors and matrices. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, optimization, and data analysis.

What is an easy linear algebra question?

An easy linear algebra question could be something like "What is the sum of two vectors?" or "What is the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?" These types of questions involve basic operations and concepts in linear algebra and can be solved using simple formulas.

What are some applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. Some examples include computer graphics, image processing, data compression, and machine learning.

What are vectors and matrices?

Vectors are objects that have both magnitude and direction, and can be represented by an array of numbers. Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers that can be used to represent linear transformations or systems of linear equations.

How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, you can practice solving problems, read textbooks or online resources, and work on real-world applications. It is also helpful to have a solid foundation in algebra and calculus before studying linear algebra.