Mutual Inductance and coupled coils

In summary, the two inductors in parallel have different conventions for sign. The left dot is positive because current is entering the right dot, and the right dot is negative because current is leaving the left dot. This inconsistency causes the equation to be wrong.
DivGradCurl

Homework Statement

For coupled coils in this arrangement (illustration attached), show

[tex]L_{eq} = \frac{L_1 L_2 - M^2}{L_1 + L_2 - 2M}[/tex]

Homework Equations

KVL (mesh analysis)

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see, I get to a final answer - which is not exactly the same; there's a subtle difference! Please help me find the mistake. I guess my mesh equations are not correct, because the rest of the process is straight-forward. By the way, the meshes are in the same figure (attached).

MESH 1:

[tex]-V + (I_1 - I_2) j\omega L_1 + j\omega M I_2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]j\omega L_1 I_1 + (j\omega M - j\omega L_1) I_2 = V[/tex]

MESH 2:

[tex]j\omega L_2 I_2 - (I_2 - I_1) j\omega M - (I_2 - I_1)j\omega L_1 + I_2 j\omega M = 0[/tex]

[tex](j\omega M + j\omega L_1) I_1 + (j\omega L_2 - j\omega L_1) I_2 = 0[/tex]

So, there are 2 equations and 2 unknowns:

[tex]\underbrace{\begin{bmatrix} \displaystyle j\omega L_1 & (j\omega M - j\omega L_1) \\ \displaystyle (j\omega M + j\omega L_1) & (j\omega L_2 - j\omega L_1)\end{bmatrix}}_{\displaystyle A} \underbrace{\begin{bmatrix} \displaystyle I_1 \\ I_2 \end{bmatrix}}_{\displaystyle X} = \underbrace{\begin{bmatrix} \displaystyle V \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}}_{\displaystyle B}[/tex]

I get

[tex]X = A^{-1} B = \begin{bmatrix} \displaystyle \frac{(L_1 - L_2)V}{(L_1 \cdot L_2 - M^2)\omega} j\phantom{\Bigg(} \\ \displaystyle \frac{(L_1 +M)V}{(L_1 \cdot L_2 - M^2)\omega} j \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

which means

[tex]I_1 = \frac{(L_1 - L_2)V}{(L_1 \cdot L_2 - M^2)\omega} j[/tex]

But, [tex]Z = V/I[/tex] and [tex]L_{eq} = Z_{eq}/(j\omega) [/tex]. Thus, it follows.

[tex]L_{eq} = \frac{L_1 L_2 - M^2}{L_2 - L_1}[/tex]

Any help is highly appreciated

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your attachment as it isn't approved yet, but I think your second mesh is a bit off. I think your polarity is backwards on [tex](I_2-I_1)j\omega L_1[/tex], which would also change the polarity of your voltage on the corresponding mutual inductance. Try switching those and I think you should get the correct answer. You should have [tex]-2j\omega MI_2[/tex] in your second mesh equation.

Keep in mind I can't see the circuit yet, but I'm fairly sure it's two inductors in parallel with dots at the top. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

Yes, if

[tex]j\omega L_2 I_2 - (I_2 - I_1) j\omega M + (I_2 - I_1)j\omega L_1 - I_2 j\omega M = 0[/tex]

then

[tex](j\omega M - j\omega L_1) I_1 + (j\omega L_1 + j\omega L_2 - 2j\omega M) I_2 = 0[/tex]

which gives the right answer!

[tex]L_{eq} = \frac{L_1 L_2 - M^2}{L_1 + L_2 - 2M}[/tex]

But there is something that does not make sense. As you said, I do have two inductors in parallel with dots at the top, but the sign convention does not seem to be consistent.

Inductor L_2 is on the right, and L_1 is on the left; this is the second mesh. I assigned a clockwise current I_2 there. For L_2, it appears that you're allowing a positive sign when current enters the dotted side:

[tex]j\omega L_2 I_2 - (I_2 - I_1) j\omega M[/tex]

The converse is suggested for L_1, with (+) for non-dotted and (-) for dotted.

[tex]+ (I_2 - I_1)j\omega L_1 - I_2 j\omega M[/tex]

Please clarify.

Well, on the left we have the current [tex](I_2-I_1)[/tex] leaving the dot. The dot convention states that if this is the case, we place a - at the opposite dot for the mutual inductance. On the right, we have the current [tex]I_2[/tex]entering the dot. The dot convention states that if this is the case we place a + at the opposite dot. So, using passive sign convention, for both inductors we have + facing into the current and for both mutual inductances we have - facing into the current.

So our equation should be [tex]+(I_2-I_1)j\omega L_1-I_2j\omega M+I_2j\omega L_2-(I_2-I_1)j\omega M=0[/tex]

I guess to answer your question succinctly, the reason the left dot is positive, is because [tex]I_2[/tex] is entering the right dot. And the reason the right dot is negative is because the current [tex](I_2-I_1)[/tex] is leaving the left dot.

I hope this wasn't too convoluted an explanation.

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I was confused with the dot notation, but now it's clear.

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which two or more coils of wire are placed close to each other and the changing magnetic field in one coil induces a current in the other coil.

2. How does mutual inductance work?

Mutual inductance works based on Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a nearby conductor. In the case of mutual inductance, the changing magnetic field in one coil induces a current in the other coil, creating an EMF.

3. What is the relationship between mutual inductance and coupled coils?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the extent to which two coils are coupled together. It is directly proportional to the number of turns in each coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the area of overlap between the two coils.

4. What are some real-world applications of mutual inductance and coupled coils?

Mutual inductance and coupled coils are commonly used in transformers, inductive sensors, and wireless power transfer systems. They are also used in electronic circuits to create filters and oscillators.

5. How can mutual inductance be calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient (a measure of how well the two coils are coupled), and L1 and L2 are the inductances of the two coils.