What is the Output Power of a Piezoelectric Microphone?

In summary, the average output power of a general category microphone is a few millivolts at best with normal volume levels, but special setups with high noise input can generate significant power. The type of antenna used in a cell phone is a monopole antenna, which can receive signals regardless of orientation. The antenna may be embedded in the phone's case. If an antenna were to receive all surrounding EM noise, the output power would be in the microwatt range. The voltage measured when holding a multimeter with your hands is likely due to a chemical reaction between your skin and the metallic probe tips. The output voltage of a piezoelectric microphone depends on the loudness of the sound, and prices vary.
The_Thinker
1)right...well, a microphone converts audio signals into corresponding electrical impulses right.. I just want to know how much is the average output power of these things? and how much voltage can be achieved from them...

2)Another question I have is, what kind of antenna do they use in a phone? I know its a monopole antenna and one can receive the signal irrespective of the orientation.. so what antenna do they use? I mean... I ripped apart a cell phone once(one that wasn't working of course.. :D), hoping to find the antenna inside... But I couldn't see anything resembling of what I expected, no single wire, no circular coil, no patch, no spiral... So what type of antenna do they actually use in these cell phones? and what do they look like? and what's their average size or area?

3)If I had an antenna receive all the surrounding EM noise around me, what do you guys think would be the output power of this thing?

4)And my final question... I used my hands and held the 2 ends of a multimeter with it and while holding it, I noticed that the multimeter showed .2 volts... So where is the voltage coming from? It can't be the output voltage of the body or something like that right? I mean shouldn't that be in millivolts or microvolts or something?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1) There are a number of different ways to make a microphone. For a general category microphone You might get a few millivolts at best with normal volume levels. However, special setups with high noise input can generate significant power.

2) Don't know about your phone, but yes it might be hard to recognize the antenna if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. It could be imbeded in the case.

3) In the microwatt area. Not what one would consider power.

4) Probably chemical reaction of your skin with the metallic probe tips.

Last edited:
hmmmm... first of all... thanks for replying mate...

Okay... If I used a piezoelectric microphone, how many millivolts would that produce? around let's say... .2 volts or around 200 millivolts?? Is that value too high?? Also how much would one cost?

and ah... okay.. thanks for clearing up the other questions for me..

The output voltage depends on how loud the sound is.

This link is the first thing that came up in Google for piezoelectric microphone
http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/microph.htm

1. What is the output power of a microphone?

The output power of a microphone is the amount of electrical energy that the microphone produces from the sound waves it picks up. This can be measured in volts or watts.

2. How is the output power of a microphone measured?

The output power of a microphone is typically measured using a decibel meter, which measures the sound pressure level (SPL) produced by the microphone. This measurement is then converted into volts or watts to determine the output power.

3. What factors affect the output power of a microphone?

The output power of a microphone can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the microphone, the sensitivity of the microphone, and the environment in which it is used. Additionally, the distance between the microphone and the sound source can also impact the output power.

4. Is a higher output power always better for a microphone?

Not necessarily. While a higher output power can indicate a more sensitive microphone, it is important to consider the intended use and environment of the microphone. In some cases, a lower output power may be more suitable and produce better quality sound.

5. Can the output power of a microphone be adjusted?

Yes, the output power of a microphone can be adjusted through various methods, such as changing the position or orientation of the microphone, using an amplifier, or adjusting the gain settings on a recording device. However, it is important to note that altering the output power can also affect the overall sound quality.