Absorbtion/Emmision Spectra

• Thread starter steven10137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectra
In summary: The frequencies don't represent the transitions, but they do represent the energies of those transitions.
steven10137

Homework Statement

An atom of element Q can only absorb two photons of frequency 6.40E14 Hz and 9.05E14 Hz.

Explain how atoms of element Q could absorb or emit photons of particular frequencies.2. The attempt at a solution

OK I think I am missing something in my understanding of absorbtion and emission ...
I don't really understand what the question is asking.

But, perhaps;

The element Q has set energy levels; n=1, n=2 ...
Hence the element can only absorb or emit photons with energies equal to the energies of these energy levels.
These energies are 6.40E14 Hz and 9.05E14 respectively.As I said, I'm having trouble. If someone could please explain the concept of the problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steven

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc, thanks for your reply :)

For the second part of the question,
I am required to draw the energy level diagram of the element, showing the known levels.
Then, calculate the longest wavelength photon that the element could emit.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9219/photondiagramkd9.jpg

ok so the longest possible photon will be that of the smallest frequency photon.
From the question, it says the element can absorb photons of the the specifc frequencies.

Now from here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod5.html#c2
I can see that the downward transition gives an emission of E2 - E1.

So we are looking for the downward transition with the smallest possible frequency, which is;
9.05E14 - 6.04E14 = 3.01E14 Hz
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\lambda = \frac{c}{f} \\
\lambda _{\max } = \frac{{3 \times 10^8 }}{{3.01 \times 10^{14} }} = 9.97 \times 10^{ - 7} m \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

How am I looking?

Thanks for your help,
Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
The energy level at n=2 is closer to n=1 than n=3 is to n=2.

Refer to the last link I cited -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html

If 9.05E14 Hz represents n=3 to n=1 and 6.04E14 n=2 to n=1, then the n=3 to n=2 transition would be the difference. This is based on the statement "An atom of element Q can only absorb two photons of frequency 6.40E14 Hz and 9.05E14 Hz." It would be unlikely that a photon would absorbed by an electron in the excited n=2 state.

So we are looking for the downward transition with the smallest possible frequency, which is;
9.05E14 - 6.04E14 = 3.01E14 Hz
Looks OK.

OK for the diagram, the 2.5eV should be less than the 3.75eV (elementary mistake)

Astronuc said:
If 9.05E14 Hz represents n=3 to n=1 and 6.04E14 n=2 to n=1, then the n=3 to n=2 transition would be the difference. This is based on the statement "An atom of element Q can only absorb two photons of frequency 6.40E14 Hz and 9.05E14 Hz." It would be unlikely that a photon would absorbed by an electron in the excited n=2 state.

I'm not really fully understanding what you mean.
But are you trying to say that those frequencies do not represent those transitions?
Am I sort of on the right track?

Thanks for your patience.
Steven.

Note the different groups and emission lines in this -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c4

I was saying those energies do represent those transitions.

The two absorption energy would correspond to n=3 to n=1 (more energetic) and n=2 to n=1 less energetic, and these would be approximately equal to emission lines. There is also a possible n=3 to n=2 emission, which is the difference between 3-1 and 2-1.

The 2->3 would be an unlikely absorption because the transition 2->1 would occur very quickly.

1. What is absorption/emission spectra?

Absorption/emission spectra refer to the range of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation that are either absorbed or emitted by a substance. This can provide insight into the chemical composition and properties of the substance.

2. How is absorption/emission spectra measured?

Absorption/emission spectra are typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which shines a beam of light through the substance and measures the amount of light absorbed or emitted at different wavelengths.

3. What causes absorption/emission spectra?

Absorption spectra occur when a substance absorbs certain wavelengths of light due to the excitation of electrons within its atoms or molecules. Emission spectra occur when these excited electrons return to their ground state and release energy in the form of light.

4. What can absorption/emission spectra tell us about a substance?

Absorption/emission spectra can provide information about the chemical composition, concentration, and structure of a substance. They can also be used to identify unknown substances and track changes in a substance over time.

5. How is absorption/emission spectra used in scientific research?

Absorption/emission spectra are used in a variety of scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, astronomy, and biochemistry. They can help researchers understand the properties and behavior of substances, identify new compounds, and analyze samples from various sources.