Work Through a Displacement At An Angle

In summary, the work done when a force of 65 N acting at an angle of 170° from the x-axis is applied to an object that moves through a displacement of 2.2 m at an angle of 30° can be found using the equation W = Fcos\Thetad, where d is the distance moved in the direction of the force. The distance in this case is 2.2 m multiplied by the difference in the angles. However, since work is a scalar quantity, it can also be calculated using the dot product of the force and displacement vectors.
mircobot

Homework Statement

Find the work done when a force of 65 N acting at an angle of 170° from the x-axis is applied to an object that moves through a displacement of 2.2 m at an angle of 30°.

Homework Equations

W = Fcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]d

where d is the distance moved in the direction of the force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am slipping on my distance. The distance the object is traveling in the direction of the force is 2.2 m multiplied by the difference in the angles
W = ( 65 N ) * cos( 170° ) * ( 2.2 m ) * cos( 150° )

Obviously this is wrong, I don't understand how to find the distance part of the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I completely forgot that work is a scalar quantity and that obviously means it results from a dot product. I solved it...

I just found the vectors of the force and direction, and found their dot product.

I would first clarify the problem by asking for more information. What is the direction of the displacement in relation to the x-axis? Is it in the same direction or opposite direction as the force? This will help determine the correct distance to use in the equation.

Assuming the displacement is in the same direction as the force, we can use the formula W = Fd cosθ, where d is the component of the displacement in the direction of the force. In this case, the component of the displacement in the direction of the force can be found by using the given angle of 30° and the total displacement of 2.2 m.

d = 2.2 m * cos(30°) = 1.9 m

Now we can plug in the values to find the work done:

W = (65 N) * (1.9 m) * cos(170°) = -191.7 J

Note that the negative sign indicates that the work is done in the opposite direction of the displacement, which makes sense since the force and displacement are at an angle of 170°. This means that the work done is negative, indicating that energy is being taken away from the object rather than added to it.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully consider the direction and magnitude of displacement when calculating work done at an angle. Additional information may be needed to accurately solve the problem.

1. What is "Work Through a Displacement At An Angle"?

"Work Through a Displacement At An Angle" refers to the calculation of work done on an object that is being displaced at an angle to the direction of the applied force. This is a common concept in physics and is often used to calculate the energy required to move an object in a specific direction.

2. How is "Work Through a Displacement At An Angle" calculated?

The formula for calculating work through a displacement at an angle is W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. This formula takes into account both the magnitude of the force and the direction in which it is applied.

3. What is the unit of measurement for "Work Through a Displacement At An Angle"?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). This is equivalent to 1 newton-meter (N*m). This unit takes into account both the force and the distance over which it is applied, making it a useful measure for calculating work through a displacement at an angle.

4. How does the angle between force and displacement affect the work done?

The angle between force and displacement affects the work done in two ways. First, a larger angle means that less of the applied force is directed in the direction of displacement, resulting in less work done. Second, the angle also affects the direction of the displacement vector, which can affect the sign of the work done (positive or negative).

5. Can "Work Through a Displacement At An Angle" be negative?

Yes, work done through a displacement at an angle can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the force and displacement vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the cosθ term in the formula. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in negative work done.