Thank You Notes after an Interview

In summary, an interviewee received an offer and is considering whether to accept it. They suggest sending a short, heartfelt email thanking the interviewer for their time and suggesting that the interviewer write one back.
user101
I interviewed with a national lab three days ago (in California). I just got an offer today, when they said it would take at least a month to evaluate the candidate. I was in the process of writing my TY notes to the interviewers until I got an e-mail for an offer.

So, what exactly do I say in the TY notes other than I enjoyed interviewing with you, etc. blah blah? Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just tell them in person on your first day of work. Are you accepting the offer?

This is for an internship position in the summer, so that might be a little too late :(

I will be sending out snail mail because it says to do so on the agenda sheet.

As far as accepting it - I'm not too sure, I would like to decide dependent on the offer. The actual details have not been given to me, so I want to give it some time. If I wait too long, the TY letters won't have much significance.

I don't know how to write this, knowing that the people I interviewed with (5 individual, 45 min interviews) already "liked me" and I don't have to do any more sucking up or selling myself. I've looked at samples online and they are all tailored to kissing butt, which is kind of weird (I'm glad I don't have to do that).

Since you've been given an offer, the thank-you note is just saying "thanks for the interview, I enjoyed seeing the facility and speaking with you, and I've been offered the position. I'll be responding to the offer as soon as I get the details. Thanks again, user101."

By the way, can you mention which national lab?

If you didn't get "the details" yet, then you haven't formally received an offer at all. An offer letter must clearly spell out salary and term of employment.

- Warren

The HR lady called me and said she was in the process of writing the details for the offer. I will be getting an offer, nonetheless... most likely tomorrow.

Picky for details, aren't we?

I'm not trying to be picky, I just wanted to make sure you didn't confuse a phone call or something for an actual offer. There's really no social etiquette (in the US, at least) that demands or even expects thank you notes, by the way.

- Warren

I forgot to say it already, Congratulations!

If it's LLNL, ping me when you get here this summer. I'm in the East Bay Area just over the hill from Livermore.

Thanks, berkeman. I appreciate it. I've learned one thing and it is hard work during school DOES pay off. You often lose sight or get off track a little, but it's moments like these that make it worth it.

chroot, I wasn't meaning to be rude or anything (looking back, it may seem like it). The HR person said "I did very well during the interviews and the managers liked me, so I'm in the process of writing your offer letter." I was in shock and I asked her again, and she confirmed that I did indeed get the job.

As far as the thank you notes - it seems to me that everyone I've talked to says you should write one to stand out. While you may be partially right, many of those who interview for a job do not send letters out, but those who want to "stand out", do send letters. Google "Interview Thank You Notes" - you'll get a ton of links of samples. It's nothing special, just another chance to kiss up.

user101 said:
As far as the thank you notes - it seems to me that everyone I've talked to says you should write one to stand out. While you may be partially right, many of those who interview for a job do not send letters out, but those who want to "stand out", do send letters. Google "Interview Thank You Notes" - you'll get a ton of links of samples. It's nothing special, just another chance to kiss up.

But that's the point. In the work that chroot and I do, we don't see any positive value in kissing up after an interview. You got the job because of how well you did in the interview, and because of how hard you worked in school. A kiss-up thank you note doesn't make you stand out in a positive way.

But since you did get the job, then a brief, heartfelt "thanks" e-mail wouldn't be inappropriate.

I guess each have their own opinions. I personally do NOT see the value in them either, it's a waste of my time and their time.

I just do it because others may be doing it as well; competition.

I acceept that UK and US cultures are different, but (in the UK) I've never ever had a thank-you note from somebody I interviewed, and I would think something strange was going on if I ever did get one.

Starting your job acceptance letter/email with a formal "thank you for your job offer" is perfectly sensible and acceptable, but remember that letter will be going to some administrator in the HR department, and the interviewers won't see it.

Of course you might end up with working in the same team or department as one of the interviewers, but unless something happened to make your particular interview stick in their memory, compared with the dozens or hundreds of others they have done, don't expect them to remember anything about it.

Keep a sense of proportion about this. You have got a job offer. You haven't just won an Oscar. You don't have to make a cringe-worthy acceptance speech :smile:

1. What is the purpose of sending a thank you note after an interview?

Sending a thank you note after an interview is a professional way to express your gratitude for the opportunity to interview for the position. It also allows you to reiterate your interest in the job and highlight your qualifications.

2. When should I send a thank you note after an interview?

It is best to send a thank you note within 24 hours after the interview. This shows that you are prompt and enthusiastic about the job. If you are unable to send it within 24 hours, try to send it within the next 2-3 days.

3. Should I send a thank you note after a phone or virtual interview?

Yes, it is still important to send a thank you note after a phone or virtual interview. It shows that you are professional and appreciate the interviewer's time, even though you were not physically present.

4. Is it necessary to send a thank you note to each person I interviewed with?

Yes, it is important to send a thank you note to each person you interviewed with. This allows you to personalize your message and express your gratitude to each individual for their time and insights.

5. What should I include in a thank you note after an interview?

In your thank you note, you should thank the interviewer for their time, express your continued interest in the job, and mention something specific that you discussed during the interview to show that you were actively listening. Additionally, you can use this opportunity to address any questions or concerns that may have arisen during the interview.