Audio and Physics career choices?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree in physics and math, followed by a master's in engineering. They have a specific interest in designing high-tech audio hardware and are seeking advice on how to achieve this career path. It is suggested to consider the University of Miami for their Music Engineering program and to major in Electrical Engineering at a school with an audio or music technology program. It is also recommended to focus on Linear System Theory, electronics, communications systems, and DSP, and to join the Audio Engineering Society as a student member.
astro_kat
Hi,

I want to get a bachelor's in physics and math, with a master's in engineering... that's the plan, but what I'm really into is high tech audio hardware; monitors, mixers, etc... I'd really like to design this type of technology---does anyone know how I would go about getting to this position, and/or what its called? (Audio engineer is in reference to something totally different)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're in the U.S., think about the U of Miami (Music Engineering) for undergrad. unfortunately, there aren't the number of schools that deliberately connect engineering (usually EE, but sometimes ME) to audio like they have in Europe.

if you don't do that, then you probably want to major in Electrical Engineering at a school that also has an audio or music technology program (like UMass/Lowell, but there are others). but the EE department might not be so clued into audio as you want to be, so there might be a lot of self-directed study (you'll have to turn your prof on to whatever interesting thing you want to do with audio).

if you're into the math, you want to get good at Linear System Theory (sometimes called Signals and Systems), electronics, communications systems, and DSP.

also, join the Audio Engineering Society as a student member and try to make it to the conventions in NYC or at the Left Coast.

that's the best i can do for recommendations.

Last edited:
for your question! I can definitely understand your interest in both physics and audio technology. In order to combine these two passions, you may want to consider pursuing a career in acoustical engineering. This field involves using principles of physics and engineering to design and develop audio equipment, such as speakers and microphones. A degree in physics and math would provide a strong foundation for this type of work, and a master's in engineering would further enhance your skills and knowledge in this area. Additionally, you may want to consider seeking out internships or job opportunities at companies that specialize in audio technology to gain hands-on experience and learn from professionals in the field. Best of luck in your career pursuits!

1. What is the difference between an audio engineer and an acoustical engineer?

Audio engineers focus on the technical aspects of recording, mixing, and producing sound for music, film, and other media. Acoustical engineers, on the other hand, study the physical properties of sound and how it behaves in different environments, often working on the design and construction of buildings or other structures to optimize sound quality.

2. Can I pursue a career in both audio and physics?

Yes, there are many careers that combine both audio and physics. Some examples include designing and building audio equipment, researching and developing new audio technologies, or working in the field of psychoacoustics, which studies how the brain perceives and processes sound.

3. What education or training is required for a career in audio or acoustics?

Most careers in audio and acoustics require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as electrical engineering, physics, or music production. Many professionals also pursue additional training or certifications in specific areas, such as acoustical engineering or sound design.

4. What types of industries or companies hire professionals in audio and physics?

Professionals in audio and physics can work in a variety of industries, including music production, film and television, video game development, live sound engineering, and acoustical consulting. They may also be employed by companies that manufacture audio equipment or develop audio software.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in audio and physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of audio and physics principles, professionals in this field should have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex technology and software. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important, as many projects in this field require collaboration with others.