Would a masters in physics help someone with a bachelors in Mech. Engineering?

In summary, a BS in engineering is more likely to lead to a job, while a BS in physics is not as helpful.
Bigman
i'm working on my BE in mechanical engineering right now (and I've still got a ways to go) and I'm really interested in the aspects of physics that we don't really get into in the engineering program, so i started toying around with the idea of getting a masters in physics afterwards. i know, i could just go for for a bachelors in physics, but i enjoy the engineering stuff too (especially CAD), and i like the idea of being an engineer, so i was just wondering how much a masters in physics would help me in the job market. thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about doing a physics minor and a master's in ME? That seems like it would help you more than a physics master's.

I doubt that a master's in physics would matter much in a typical mechanical engineering job.

- Warren

I agree, not very helpful.

Look into the minor, that may satisfy your interests.

it wouldn't help, eh? hmmm, maybe i'll just learn about this stuff on the side on my own... anyone have any thoughts on how the job market treats people with a bachelors in physics vs a bachelors in engineering; as far as the availability of jobs, and pay?

Bigman said:
it wouldn't help, eh? hmmm, maybe i'll just learn about this stuff on the side on my own... anyone have any thoughts on how the job market treats people with a bachelors in physics vs a bachelors in engineering; as far as the availability of jobs, and pay?

Those with a BS in engineering find jobs in engineering fairly readily, while those with a BS in physics almost never find jobs doing anything related to physics. (The last statistic I heard was 4%.)

- Warren

chroot said:
Those with a BS in engineering find jobs in engineering fairly readily, while those with a BS in physics almost never find jobs doing anything related to physics. (The last statistic I heard was 4%.)

- Warren

oh wow... yeah, i think i'll just take some time on the side and learn this stuff on my own. thanks :)

1. How will a masters in physics benefit someone with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering?

A masters in physics can provide a deeper understanding of fundamental principles in the field of mechanics, such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and solid mechanics. This can enhance problem-solving skills and broaden the scope of knowledge in the design and analysis of mechanical systems.

2. Will a masters in physics make me more employable as a mechanical engineer?

Having a masters in physics can make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities in mechanical engineering. It shows that you have a strong foundation in both theoretical and practical aspects of the field, making you a versatile and valuable asset to potential employers.

3. Can a masters in physics help me specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering?

Yes, a masters in physics can provide the opportunity to focus on a specific area of interest within mechanical engineering, such as automotive engineering, aerospace engineering, or renewable energy systems. This can lead to more specialized job opportunities and career growth.

4. Is it necessary to have a masters in physics to advance in a career as a mechanical engineer?

While a masters in physics is not necessary for career advancement in mechanical engineering, it can open up new opportunities for higher-level positions and greater responsibility. It can also provide a strong foundation for further education, such as a PhD in mechanical engineering.

5. Are there any disadvantages to pursuing a masters in physics with a background in mechanical engineering?

One potential disadvantage is that a masters in physics may not provide as much hands-on experience in mechanical engineering as a traditional masters in mechanical engineering program. However, this can be offset by gaining practical experience through internships or research projects during the program.