What is the meaning of E in calculator notation?

• Thread starter cseet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, The conversation is about computing "10E4.2" on a calculator. This notation means "10 to the exponent 4.2". The correct way to write it is 10^(4.2). The result is approximately 158489.319. Some confusion arose because the letter "E" is used as shorthand for "times 10 to the" on calculators. However, the correct notation is still 10^(4.2).
cseet
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question...

how do you compute 10E4.2 on the calculator?

thanks in advance..
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
10 x 10^4.2

thanks enigma... I know it's a "silly" question... but appreciate it! cseet

notational questions are never silly. Lots of people get completely lost - not because they don't understand - but simply because they have never been taught the notation (happened to me many a time).

Unfortunately, Enigma's answer seems to me to be wrong. The question was
to compute "10E4.2", i.e. "10 to the exponent 4.2" and should be 10^(4.2), NOT
"10*10^(4.2)".

Usually in exponent notation xEy = x * 10^y.

1e1 is 10.
2e2 is 200.
10e4.2 is 158489.319...

Halls, you're thinking of
10^4.2

not

10E4.2

Last edited:
yes on the calculators "E represents times 10 to the"
so 10E4.2
10 "time 10 to the" 4.2
just inser the phrase wherever e is

1. What is the definition of basic maths?

Basic maths refers to the fundamental principles and operations of mathematics, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also includes concepts like fractions, decimals, percentages, and basic algebra.

2. What are some common topics covered in basic maths?

Some common topics covered in basic maths include arithmetic, geometry, measurement, and basic statistics. Other topics may include number theory, algebraic equations, and basic trigonometry.

3. How can I improve my understanding of basic maths?

One way to improve your understanding of basic maths is to practice regularly and work through problems until you feel confident in your abilities. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as tutorials, videos, and practice exercises.

4. Is basic maths important for everyday life?

Yes, basic maths is essential for everyday life. It helps with tasks such as budgeting, calculating tips and taxes, and understanding measurements. It also provides a foundation for more advanced math concepts used in various fields and professions.

5. Can I use a calculator for basic maths?

While it is important to understand basic maths concepts, it is acceptable to use a calculator for more complex calculations. However, it is still important to have a strong foundation in basic maths to understand how the calculator is arriving at the answer.