Curved Path: Is it Possible Without a Force? | Reference Frame Dependence

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a particle describing a curved path without any force acting on it, and whether this is dependent on the reference frame. It is suggested that in certain reference frames, the particle may appear to be experiencing a force, but it is actually just the frame itself moving. The concept of a "curved path" is also discussed, with the conclusion that it can be defined differently depending on the chosen reference frame.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Is the answer reference frame dependent?
[I am sorry. I forgot that the rule says on question per thread. ]

The Attempt at a Solution

YES, when the body stays still but the frame describes a curved path. Then with respect to that frame the body will describe curves but no force would act on particle. Will we count pseudo force as a force?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it matters whether we are considering accelerated reference frames, or just strictly inertial reference frames.

Or put another way, do you think they are considering reference frames in which F=ma is not true?

ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Is the answer reference frame dependent?
[I am sorry. I forgot that the rule says on question per thread. ]

The Attempt at a Solution

YES, when the body stays still but the frame describes a curved path. Then with respect to that frame the body will describe curves but no force would act on particle. Will we count pseudo force as a force?
I agree with your answer. What is a "curved path", anyway? If you define it as a path for which the coordinates of points along the path are not all related by affine transformations, then all you have to do is define screwy coordinates (or, as you suggest, rotate the reference frame).

What is a curved path?

A curved path is a path or trajectory that is not straight, but instead follows a curved shape. This can occur in various contexts, such as motion, light, or sound.

Why do objects follow curved paths?

Objects can follow curved paths due to various factors, such as gravity, forces, or the shape of the object itself. For example, a ball thrown in the air will follow a curved path due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

What is the difference between a curved path and a straight path?

The main difference between a curved path and a straight path is the shape of the trajectory. A straight path follows a linear or straight path, while a curved path follows a non-linear, curved path.

How do curved paths affect motion?

Curved paths can greatly affect motion, as they can change the direction of an object's movement and alter its speed. For example, a car following a curved road will need to adjust its steering and speed to stay on the path.

What are some real-life examples of curved paths?

Examples of curved paths in everyday life include the orbit of planets around the sun, the path of a ball thrown in the air, the trajectory of a rollercoaster, and the flight path of a bird. These are all examples of objects following curved paths due to various factors such as gravity, forces, or aerodynamics.