Organic Chem- Mechanism Question(Oxidation of Glycol)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanism for the oxidation of a glycol by periodic acid, which results in the formation of a cyclic periodate intermediate. The participants consider how the oxygens from the glycol may play a role in the formation of the intermediate, and discuss the use of electron density and proton transfer in the mechanism.
HclGuy

Homework Statement

Write a detailed mechanism for the following reaction:
Attached picture

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know this is PART of the mechanism for the oxidation of a glycol by periodic acid which causes cleavage of the C-C bond between the glycol and forms 2 carbonyl groups. The thing is the cyclic periodate that is formed is only an intermediate , and I need to figure out a mechanism for that 1 Step. I have tried thinking about turning one of the -OH groups on the glycol into H2O to start a SN reaction, but it doesn't seem to work out. What I think I do know is that the oxidation state of the iodine atom is preserved in the cyclic periodate and that the periodic acid is the molecule that wants electrons. Other than that, I don't have a clue about how the mechanism works to form the cyclic periodate.

Attachments

• Cylic periodate.jpg
    Cylic periodate.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to label the oxygens (O-18) of the glycol, would the intermediate contain both? If so, the H2O produced comes from periodic acid. From there, the mechanism is fairly straightforward... attach things that have electron density to things that don't. Intermediates that are positively charged and contain a proton, likely lose the proton to the solvent. The solvated protons can reprotonate elsewhere on the intermediate.

Thanks for the tip !, haven't thought about the oxygens from the glycol being the one on the cyclic periodate, was so obsessed with trying to turn one of the alcohols on the glycol into a leaving group and not the alcohol on the periodic acid.

1. What is the overall reaction for the oxidation of glycol?

The overall reaction for the oxidation of glycol is: C2H6O2 → 2CO2 + 2H2O

2. What is the mechanism for the oxidation of glycol?

The mechanism for the oxidation of glycol involves a series of steps, starting with the protonation of the hydroxyl group, followed by the formation of an aldehyde or ketone intermediate, and finally the loss of a hydrogen atom to form the carboxylic acid product. This process can be catalyzed by various oxidizing agents such as potassium permanganate or chromium trioxide.

3. What are the products of the oxidation of glycol?

The products of the oxidation of glycol are carbon dioxide and water. Depending on the conditions and catalyst used, the intermediate aldehyde or ketone product may also be isolated.

4. What is the purpose of oxidizing glycol?

The purpose of oxidizing glycol is to convert it into a more stable and useful compound. The resulting carboxylic acid product can be used in various industrial processes such as the production of plastics, pharmaceuticals, and detergents.

5. Are there any side reactions that can occur during the oxidation of glycol?

Yes, there are potential side reactions that can occur during the oxidation of glycol. These include the over-oxidation of the carboxylic acid product to produce carbon dioxide and water, as well as the formation of unwanted byproducts such as aldehydes, ketones, and acids. Proper control of reaction conditions and choice of catalyst can minimize these side reactions.