Solving Tension in Cables: 20 kg Speaker 2.5 m, 2 Cables 20°

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in two cables that are suspending a 20 kg loudspeaker 2.5 m below the ceiling. The tension can be found by analyzing the forces in equilibrium and using trigonometry to determine the components of the tension in the x and y directions. The total tension can then be found by using the equation F_T = \sqrt{F_T_x^2 + F_T_y^2}.
xgoddess210

Homework Statement

A 20 kg loudspeaker is suspended 2.5 m below the ceiling by two cables that are each 20 degrees from vertical. What is the tension the cables?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on what equation to use, considering we haven't even talked about tension at all in class. These problem seems simple but I don't know how to start it. I don't need the answer, just maybe some information on what I'm supposed to do with the information provided. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension is a force. And these forces in this problem are in equilibrium.

Use vectors and trigonometry.

Drawing out the picture, you can see that for the loudspeaker to hang stationary, the downward pull of gravity must be counteracted by an equal upward force, which is the force of tension provided by the two cables. Note also that the two cables have tension in the x and y directions, with total tension given by [tex]F_T = \sqrt{F_T_x^2 + F_T_y^2}[/tex].

Because of this, [tex]2F_T_y = F_g[/tex], because both cables are exerting an equal upward force on the loudspeaker.

Once you've found the y-component of the tension, you can find the total tension in the cable by analyzing the right triangle made by the cable and its x- and y- components. In this case, [tex]F_T_y = \frac{F_T}{cos \theta}[/tex]. With your value for the angle, you can now solve for the tension in the cable, which is identical for both cables due to the symmetry of the problem.

Thank you! I appreciate your help!

1. How do I calculate the tension in the cables for a 20 kg speaker at a 20° angle?

To calculate the tension in the cables, you can use the formula T = mg/cosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the cables and the vertical axis. In this case, T = (20 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)/cos(20°) = 212.6 N.

2. Can I use the same formula for any angle and weight?

Yes, the formula T = mg/cosθ can be used for any angle and weight as long as the cables are in tension and the angle is measured from the vertical axis.

3. What is the significance of the 2.5 m distance mentioned in the question?

The 2.5 m distance is the length of each cable from the speaker to the point where it is anchored. This distance is important in determining the tension in the cables as it affects the angle θ between the cables and the vertical axis.

4. How does the weight of the speaker affect the tension in the cables?

The weight of the speaker directly affects the tension in the cables as it is a component in the formula for tension. The heavier the speaker, the greater the tension in the cables will be.

5. Is there a maximum tension limit for the cables?

Yes, cables have a maximum tension limit that should not be exceeded. This limit can vary depending on the material and thickness of the cables. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines or consult with an expert to ensure the cables are not under too much tension.