Optimal order to persue undergraduate upper division physics coursework

In summary: So, I don't think it will be a problem.In summary, the physics major at the nearby state university is willing to allow the returning student to start upper division coursework as part of a "second bachelor's" degree. The student is unsure of exactly how much of the coursework will transfer, but is confident that he will be able to complete the degree in two or three years.
ygolo
I've decided to go back to school to study physics.

I was a physics minor the last time I was in undergrad, and have an undergraduate math degree an undergraduate computer engineering degree as well as a graduate degree in electrical engineering.

So, after meeting with the dean of physics at the near-by state university, I was told I can start on the upper division coursework as part of a "second bachelor's" degree which he believes I can complete in two years (starting fall-semester).

I am meeting with him again on Tuesday to figure out a little more about what I will be doing.

My eventual aim, at least based on my current interests, is to work in High Energy physics.

To that end, I wanted to see if people here had opinons on which upper divission courses are a must (beyond the ones required for the degree), and to see if people found taking particular courses before or after particular other courses to be easier or more difficult.

Here are the upper division offerings at the university:
PHYS 105 (Mathematical Methods)
PHYS 106 (Intro to Modern Physics)
PHYS 110 (Classical Mechanics)
PHYS 115 (Electronics and Instrumentation)
PHYS 145 (Optics)
PHYS 124 (Thermodynamics)
PHYS 135 (Electricity and Magnetism)
PHYS 136 (Electrodynamics)
PHYS 150 (Quantum Mechanics)
PHYS 151 (Advanced Modern Physics)
PHYS 156 (Advanced Classical and Statistical Mechanics)
PHYS 175 (Advanced Physics Laboratory)
PHYS 116 (Advanced Electronics and Instrumentation)
PHYS 130 (Acoustics)
PHYS 142 (Applied Solid State Physics)
PHYS 162 (Computational Physics)

Other than taking the "Intro" before "advanced" and following the prerequisite chain...

Are there any particular classes you would recommend taking first?

From my minor, I have Intro. to Modern Physics, some basic solid-state physics, Electrostatics and Thermal Physics. Also, I have been working as an electrical engineer for 9 years, so some of the electronics and instrumentation may be redundant.

I'm not sure exactly how much will transfer, but I wouldn't mind relearning some basics, even if that means it will take me 2 and a half years or three years to complete (especially since I will be working a 50-60 hr job at the same time).

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware that you will more than likely not work in high energy physics with a bachelors in physics? Do you intend to get a phd?

Sorry I cannot be of more help with your coursework though.

mbisCool said:
Are you aware that you will more than likely not work in high energy physics with a bachelors in physics? Do you intend to get a phd?

Sorry I cannot be of more help with your coursework though.

Of course. I plan to do my phd after that, but as a full-time student. I have already resolved to spenf about 10 years on this (2-3 on undergrad, 6-7 on grad).

What is the optimal order for pursuing undergraduate upper division physics coursework?

The optimal order for pursuing undergraduate upper division physics coursework may vary depending on individual interests and goals, but a general recommended sequence is as follows:

• Start with foundational courses such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.
  • Next, move on to more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and optics.
  • After gaining a strong understanding of the core concepts, consider taking specialized courses in areas of interest, such as astrophysics, particle physics, or condensed matter physics.
  • Finally, complete any required lab courses and consider participating in research projects or internships to gain hands-on experience and enhance your skills.

How can I balance my coursework load while pursuing upper division physics courses?

Balancing coursework load is important in order to succeed in upper division physics courses. Some tips for achieving a balanced load include:

• Plan ahead and create a schedule to ensure you have enough time for each course.
  • Prioritize your courses based on difficulty and importance.
  • Utilize resources such as study groups, tutoring, and office hours to help with challenging courses.
  • Take breaks and engage in self-care to avoid burnout.

Are there any recommended electives to complement upper division physics courses?

Elective courses can be a great way to supplement your upper division physics coursework and broaden your knowledge base. Some recommended electives may include:

• Mathematics courses such as differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis.
  • Computer science courses to develop programming skills and enhance data analysis abilities.
  • Courses in other sciences such as chemistry, biology, or geology to gain a multidisciplinary perspective.
  • Courses in communication or technical writing to improve communication skills, which are important in the field of physics.

Are there any specific skills or prerequisites needed for upper division physics courses?

Upper division physics courses require a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts. Some specific skills and prerequisites that may be helpful include:

• Proficiency in algebra, calculus, and trigonometry.
  • Familiarity with basic physics principles such as Newton's laws and conservation of energy.
  • Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
  • Experience with scientific research methods and data analysis techniques.

What are some potential career opportunities for those with a degree in upper division physics?

A degree in upper division physics can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as:

• Research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, or technology.
  • Education as a high school or college physics teacher.
  • Government agencies such as NASA or the Department of Defense.
  • Finance and consulting, as physics majors possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
  • Graduate studies in physics, engineering, or other related fields.