Intensity of the incident light

Therefore, the angle between the third and second polarizer is 45° - 33° = 12°.In summary, the intensity of the incident light can be calculated by using the equation I0 = Iout / (cos2(33°)cos2(12°)), where Iout is the intensity of the light that emerges from the system and I0 is the intensity of the incident light.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light is incident on a system of three polarizers. The second polarizer is oriented at an angle of 33.0° with respect to the first and the third is oriented at an angle of 45.0° with respect to the first. If the light that emerges from the system has an intensity of 2.3 W/m2, what is the intensity of the incident light?

Homework Equations

Iout=Iincos2[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that after I0 passes through the first polarizer, it is 1/2I0. After it passes through the second, I thought it would be 1/2I0cos2(33), and after it passes through the third, 1/2I0cos2(33)cos2(45).
This would all equal 2.3, which I was given.
So I set up my final equation as:
1/2I0cos2(33)cos2(45) = 2.3, or
I0= 2.3 / (1/2cos2(33)cos2(45).

I solved and got 13.08, but that is incorrect. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the third polarizer, use the angle between it and the second polarizer.

45° is the angle between the third and first polarizer.

Your approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in your equation. The intensity of the incident light should be equal to the intensity of the light after passing through all three polarizers, so your final equation should be:

I0 = 2.3 / (1/2cos2(33)cos2(45))^2

This will give you the correct answer of approximately 13.08 W/m2.

1. What is the definition of intensity of the incident light?

The intensity of the incident light is the amount of light energy that falls on a surface per unit area.

2. How is the intensity of the incident light measured?

The intensity of the incident light is measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or in units of lumens per square meter (lm/m²).

3. What factors affect the intensity of the incident light?

The intensity of the incident light is affected by the distance from the light source, the angle at which the light hits the surface, and any obstructions or reflections that may alter the amount of light reaching the surface.

4. How does the intensity of the incident light impact photosynthesis?

The intensity of the incident light is a crucial factor in photosynthesis as it determines the amount of energy available for plants to convert into chemical energy. Higher light intensity can lead to greater rates of photosynthesis, while lower intensity may limit plant growth.

5. Can the intensity of the incident light be too high?

Yes, the intensity of the incident light can be too high and can cause damage to living organisms. This is known as photoinhibition and can lead to reduced photosynthesis, cell damage, and even death. It is important to regulate light intensity in environments where living organisms are present.