Gravitational force and the distance from the earth

In summary, the gravitational field at different altitudes on Earth is weaker than the field at the surface.
akatsafa
I really need help with this question. I've been trying to figure it out for a couple of hours.

Find the altitudes above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be (a) five-sixths and (b) one-sixth of its value at the surface. These units have to be in km.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
at the surface accelartion due to gravity is given by:

[tex]g = \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

where r is the radius of the Earth G the universal graviational constant and M the mass of the Earth:

therfore:

[tex]\frac{5g}{6} = \frac{5GM}{6r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{g}{6} = \frac{GM}{6r^2}[/tex]

re-arrange the equations, plug in the numbers and the adjust for the correct units.

Substitute GM/R^2 in for g and solve for r using jcsd's equations.

What value are you getting?

cookiemonster

All you need to do is recognize th the answers to

a)
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{6r^2}{5}}[/tex]

b)
[tex]\sqrt{6r^2}[/tex]

where r is the radisu of the Earth at the surface.

Last edited:
Sorry that's cos I missed out the indices!

What do you mean by that? are the equations wrong?

they are correct now.

they haven't changed. are they the same equations you gave me originally?

You should be getting answers of roughly:

a) 6979 km

b) 15606 km

the equations are correct.

these values are not correct either. I submitted them, and the professor said they were not correct.

jcsd's solutions are correct. If you're using a different value for R, then plug it into the formulas he gave to get whatever answer your professor thinks it's looking for.

cookiemonster

I think it is just the wording of the question that is gettting the wrong answer not that the answers are wrong. NOte it says altitude, i think altitude means distance above Earth's surface therefore the anwers given for a and b should have the radius of the Earth subtracted from them. Depending on what constants you are using I am getting a around 610km (roughly) if you need sig figs you better do it all i.e. follow the equation and just get an answer, not just subtract from the other answers and for b about 9300km real rough two sig fig calcs

how are you getting 610km? When I take 6.38e3 from 6.37e3(which is the radius of the Earth in km), I'm not getting that value. I'm getting the values that jcsd got, but how do i get the altitude?

once i have the radius, how do i find the altitude? taking the Earth's radius minus the radius i found, does not produce what jungle peanut got.

Lets say you have the same answer as jcsd,
6979km as the radius where the acceleration is 5/6 the acceleration at the surface.
If the surface is at a radius of 6378km then I subtract 6979km from 6378km and get 601km pretty close to my rough answer.

thank you all for the help! I'm terrible at working physics problems. thanks again.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract one another. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth's surface.

2. How does distance from the Earth affect gravitational force?

The farther an object is from the Earth, the weaker the gravitational force between them. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. As the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.

3. Can gravitational force be affected by the mass of an object?

Yes, the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that the more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational force will be.

4. Is the gravitational force the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the force of gravity varies depending on the distance from the Earth's center and the mass of the object. For example, someone standing at the top of a mountain will experience a slightly weaker gravitational force than someone standing at sea level.

5. How is gravitational force related to weight?

Gravitational force is often equated to weight, but they are actually two different things. Weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object, while gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two objects. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force, but an object's mass remains constant.