Transformation of one shape into another

In summary, The conversation is about topology and a person's interest in transformation of shapes. They discuss the concept of equivalence in topology and how it relates to transforming one shape into another. The conversation also touches on the mathematical aspect of topology and the importance of avoiding sharp corners in defining shapes. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use the Schwarz Christoffel mapping for transforming shapes.
IwillBeGood
I have been out of class for really long, I don't remember anything,
I have lately become interested in transformation of one shape into another. :confused: Is this also about topology ?

If so, I would like to know how you can define such a beautiful transformation ? It is just so strange to me, true!, how a star can turn into a circle with some sort of computation.

-Forgive and Forget
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, yeah. That's topology. Informally known as rubber sheet topology. A donut and a ceramic coffee cup are topologically objects of equivalence. A sphere and a cube with rounded edges and corners are equivalent objects, etc...

Thankyou That's interesting, But if I want to turn a sphere into make a cube, how can I be able to do it ? :redface:

IwillBeGood said:
Thankyou That's interesting, But if I want to turn a sphere into make a cube, how can I be able to do it ? :redface:

I don't know the mathematical machinery. It's not my fault--I only care for the physics! But that's a topological no-no. Sharp corners are out, just as the hole in a donut distinguishes it from a sphere, the sharp points are distinguishing features that distinguish one shape from another. If it has places where differentiation gives you infinite values it's not a manifold--I think.

We'll both have to wait for the mathematical geniuses to show up, to say why.

1. How does shape transformation occur?

Shape transformation occurs through a series of mathematical operations that manipulate the coordinates of a shape's vertices to create a new shape.

2. What are the different types of shape transformations?

The different types of shape transformations include translation, rotation, reflection, and dilation. Translation involves moving a shape without changing its size or orientation. Rotation involves rotating a shape around a fixed point. Reflection involves flipping a shape across a line of reflection. Dilation involves stretching or shrinking a shape.

3. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a 2x2 matrix that represents the mathematical operations needed to transform a shape. It is used to calculate the new coordinates of the shape's vertices after a transformation has been applied.

4. How do you determine the effects of multiple transformations on a shape?

To determine the effects of multiple transformations on a shape, you can use the concept of composition of transformations. This involves applying each transformation in order, using the new shape as the starting point for the next transformation. Alternatively, you can use a transformation matrix that combines the effects of multiple transformations into one matrix.

5. How is shape transformation used in real life?

Shape transformation has many practical applications in fields such as animation, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to create realistic animations, design structures, and manipulate images. It is also used in geometry and mathematics to study the properties of shapes and their transformations.